Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

89 cat 436 water in trans

Misparky ยท 2016-01-02 14:04

89 436 manual trans, manual shuttle, 2 wd. Perkins This spring after plowing snow all winter I changed fluids and found a milkshake in the trans... I changed the oil 4 times and seemed to have a pretty good oil quality. This summer while working on my son's mini motocross track (machine was at extreme angles) I developed a pretty good leak out of the bell housing... since I then I had planed on tearing into it as a winter project as this machine gets used on the farm almost daily through the fall. The oil looks like it might have a little water in it but not a significant amount. While keeping tabs on the oil level we would notice wild swings in the oil level... low... then high.. So my questions are does this machine have an oil to air cooler or a oil to water cooler? If it's coolant wouldn't you expect to see some oil in the radiator? Which I dont... What is the best way to test the cooler for leaks? Should I assume it's an input shaft seal leaking , or is there other possibilities? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Shimmy12016-01-02 14:23

    A lot of machines are like that if you don't check them the same way and perfectly level every time. Also, I'm not familiar with a 436, does the owners manual specify how to check it? Checking procedures can vary; some you check cold/engine off, some are hot/idling, others warm/engine off/check within a minute of shutdown, etc, etc.

  2. #2Mark2502016-01-02 17:02

    Hi Misparky, could you post your S/N please?????????????? A straight 436 has an oil cooler integral with radiator A 436B has a separate trans oil cooler Regards Mark

  3. #3Misparky2016-01-03 08:45

    The s/n is5kf00360 arrangement number9r5602 engine u267843s a/n 7c7901 trans h81699 a/n 9w7920 I don't have an operators manual for it but I have always checked it warm with the engine off