I just purchased this machine and I'm going through which problems to fix. I thought all the gauges were working but 2 of them don't seem to. After letting it run for 10 minutes I noticed the "Clutch pressure" and "Converter Oil temp" doesn't look like its working. How to you check if the gauge isn't working?
What do you mean by letting it run for 10 minutes? If it was sitting idling the clutch and converter temp aren't going to warm up much if at all. If everything seems to work OK, put it to work for 1/2 an hour or an hour and see if the gauges move. 10 minutes not moving is nothing.
Touch a ground wire to the sender side of the gauge (if its an electric gauge of course). If it indicator needle sweeps fully across the gauge face, your gauge should be good. Your clutch oil pressure should be reading while the engine is running while, like said above, your oil temperature may not read anything until the machine is worked for awhile. If you have a small tube line on the back of the oil pressure gauge then its a mechanical. If its not reading, then you either have no oil pressure, a kinked supply line for the gauge, or the gauge is faulty.
Ok, thank you. Sorry, I've never had a machine like this and I thought the gauges worked but didn't want it to run if there really was a problem. I think everything is working as it should. Except when I cleared the dirt away from the track adjuster the previous owner welded a piece of angle in it to keep it from retracting.
Thank you, I will check that.
Also, how bad is it that these "covers" are rusted out?