Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8LL deep reduction question

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2012-03-24 00:23

I have been researching the 8ll transmission with deep reduction. My understanding is you can only use the splitter when stopped and to get it into the LoLo gear. In reading through posts on the web I can't tell if you can shift from Lo-4 while in the deep reduction or if you would go from LoLo, use the splitter to go to Lo and then the normal low range 1-4. Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

Replies16
  1. #11toomanyhobbies2012-03-24 01:31

    never mind, think I found my own answer. It looks like you go from LoLo to Lo and then normal shifting. I found a video off this web page that showed them doing this. http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger/productssolutions/transmissions/8lltransmissions/index.htm and click on the video labeled. Professional Shifting Vocational 8LL, 9LL & 15 Speeds - Video

  2. #2Deere500a2012-03-24 04:43

    On the KW I was running and various other trucks if you are going slow and easy you can flip the button up and tap the throttle and it will drop you into low without stopping. When I am in the dirt I will leave the button up and stay in low, so my five shifts on the low side are all in lo lo it just makes the truck walk easier. When I am ready to leave I will flip the button back put it in neutral and and go back to the same hole I came out of.

  3. #3Deere500a2012-03-24 04:53

    Being in lo lo 4th you would get your RPMs up and flip the button back and go for third. Taking off from a stoplight on a slight grade I put first in lo lo take off flip button back and put it back in the first hole then just go through the pattern as normal.

  4. #41toomanyhobbies2012-03-24 21:05

    Ok, so this is what confused me before. Are you saying that if you keep the splitter button forward you can actually stay in LoLo in 1-4 as well? does this essentially give you 4 more gears?

  5. #595zIV2012-03-24 21:31

    Essentially yes, it'll give you 5 if you plan on using the lo-hole along with the bottom 4. But like Deere500a said, if you're at so much of a grade, or like my truck it's geared low enough that going from DR to first is just about impossible, then you can start in DR 1st or 2nd and run through the gears, neutral, flip back the DR switch and go for either 2nd or 3rd on the lowside depending on how fast you are actually rolling when you make the jump. Also, If you are on the low side and flip the deep reduction button forward it will attempt to go into DR. If you are in DR and flip the button back it will attempt to come out of DR. If you do either of these without the proper planing or speed, you're ride will get very rough, very fast. Ask me how I know that.

  6. #6Deere500a2012-03-24 22:54

    ^when that happens you don't want to have coffee in your hand. Yes you can keep it in lo lo and use your bottom five-low,1,2,3,4

  7. #7DirtHauler2012-03-25 05:14

    Don't be confused that you will get an additional 5 gears out of using the DR in lo-4. There will be duplicate gearing, basicly 2 gears with the same ratio. for example i suspect that DR4 is about the same as 2nd gear without DR. DR in essense shifts the gearing back 2 gears. Thus acting like its giving two additional gears below Lo. (note when i say 2 gears, it may only be one, i have not done the math nor do i have the figures avalible to me. And its been a long time since i drove a 15 speed)

  8. #81toomanyhobbies2012-03-25 05:59

    That makes sense. I just didn't want to take try to shift from Lo to 1 in DR and have all hell break loose. :bash

  9. #9DIRTROAD2012-03-25 18:21

    Don't forget to use your secret gear on the high side.

  10. #10DirtHauler2012-03-25 18:29

    we call that the mystery gear. or the no-no hole.

  11. #11tuney4432012-03-25 18:35

    That would be akin to the lot lizard one could say.:falldownlaugh

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2012-03-25 18:36

    Good for starting out on flat ground when empty.

  13. #13CRAFT2012-03-25 19:50

    You go right ahead and keep using that ...... NO-NO Hole ..... Mystery Gear .... Cheater Gear...... what ever you want to call it, especially when under load and you'll find out in a frigg'n hurry "WHY" they call it a "NO-NO" ..... LOL ... you'll have Road Ranger GUTS all over the Hwy ..... Just ask ME ! ... Had a hired driver use it all the time and it blew the whole auxilary housing apart ... great big cast iron chunks all over the pavement ...... LOL .. the best part was when he denied that he ever used it, the tranny was a new eaton rebuild from the factory.... still under warranty....we got another one asap from the Peterbilt parts dealer installed it and I took the grenaded one back to the dealer where I met with the Factory Eaton Rep ...... he then proceeded to show me where all the tell tales were that show that the "Great Hired Driver" did use it more than just a couple of times ...... It's kind of a big gear spinning a little gear way to fast theory ...... and BOOM ! ...... "NO-WARRANTY" ..... yup ... go ahead keep telling him to not forget to use that NO-NO gear ....yup ....LOL ....just a freindly warning that you'll need a fat wallet ........cheers

  14. #14Deere500a2012-03-25 21:51

    8LL & 9 spds I have had no problems running in the extra hole under a load. One idiot blows a tranmission & it be come a no-no . Eaton will tell you,you can pull along grade @1100rpm . I yet to drive a new diesel that had power at 1100rpm I'll pull at 1400/1600rpm

  15. #15CRAFT2012-03-25 22:51

    One thing I have yet to figure out is ????? ...WHY in all the GREAT smartness of the manufacturers have they NOT put a lock-out on that hole, years ago with the invent of the new series RTLO Super 13spd and the big and mighty 18spds they shoulda been doing this especially with all the electronical technology they have .... but they always leave a loophole to squeak out of a warranty claim and call it driver abuse. Deere500a ..... this was what happened to me and is not only the case of ONE STUPID GUY...... this is a reputitious story, especially here in Canada where we all consider 80,000#'s a tiny load in the big truck world ....... when you are lifting an 8-axle super-B loads, at 63.5 metric tonnes .......... its been documented that the drive shaft at the point where it enters the rear diff rotates 1-1/2 turns before a wheel even begins to turn ........ that's alot of wind up ! .... but somewhere up front in the drive line it WILL have to absorb the shock loading in the event of a screw-up and that will happen to be in the tranny (as well as the axle shafts) ....... but if the tranny is in a gear that is not alocated as a position as on the shift diagram on the dash or where-ever, such as the cheater gear that'll be the weakest link ...... i've invested ALOT of money in to Eaton driveline Parts and remans over the last 30 yrs ....... it's just my 2-cents take it or leave it .... I guess every one has to find out the hard way .....LOL .... I did .......cheers

  16. #16DIRTROAD2012-03-26 16:58

    I've been using that gear for 20 years and never had the first minutes trouble. Hiring a good driver makes all the difference in the world.