Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8v92T Silver 92 Power Steering Fluid…?

Auctioneerhere ยท 2011-01-01 22:12

Ok, as much as I have Googled it in the past few days there seems to be no one right answer. ATF, Power Steering Fluid, 10W/40.... What fluid is supposed to be in the system?

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042011-01-02 23:12

    Every modern truck I've messed with used engine oil,but, the power steering fluid would depend on the vehicle,not the engine. Good luck.

  2. #2Komatsu 1502011-01-03 10:02

    Should be a simple question wouldn't ya think? I've gone so far as to ask the rather large company that rebuilt one of our steering boxes, and the answer was: 'Uh, well, whatever is supposed to be in there'. I was not too impressed. We've never had anything newer than 2000, but the best guide is the book that came with the truck or better yet a decal on the pump. I've seen the exact same parts on different brands of trucks with different recommendations from the truck manufacturer.

  3. #3jrtraderny2011-01-03 16:44

    I've seen a lot of them using ATF but I prefer hydraulic oil. ATF doesn't lubricate very well in a pump or gearbox. jr