Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

9040b charging issue

bvfdfire ยท 2013-02-16 22:25

I have a 9040b, all in all a pretty good machine, but it does have a few quirks. Biggest issue, battery maintenance light stays on all time. I pulled the alternator and tested it, bench tester says its charging. I can't get initiating voltage to the field, and I can't seem to find any fuses that are blown. Am I missing a fuse or fusible link somewhere that might be hidden?

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2013-02-17 00:20

    There is an extra wire coming off that alternator that powers a function in the computer which lights the monitor light. The alternator can be charging but if the voltage and frequency coming off that extra wire isn't right, the monitor light comes on.

  2. #2TravellingTec2013-02-17 17:11

    Is the unit not charging or is it just the battery indicator light on? If it's the battery light, that is triggered by a signal sent from a wire that goes right into one of the fill terminals on the battery. All you need to do is run the wire to either the 12 volt post or th 24 volt post and the indicator light will go out. If it is not charging and you had the alternator checked, chances are the induction wire is not putting power to induce the alternator. Almost need 2 people to check it. When engine is being cranked it must be 24 volts at the alternator. If you trace it that far and there is no induction, let me know and I will try to describe where the diode is in that circuit that induces the alternator.

  3. #3bvfdfire2013-04-06 23:24

    finally got around to getting back on this machine, it apparently is initiating the alternator because the batteries are staying charged, however, I guess the power isn't getting to the console. The Battery maintenance light continues to stay on all time.