Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

91 and still on a dozer

cuttin edge ยท 2021-04-06 14:56

Just read an article about a fella running a dozer at 91. Kenny Nichols, around Salem Missouri. Anyone on here know him?

Replies8
  1. #1Sberry2021-04-06 18:54

    My Dad drove tractor regular till 91. I drove plenty as a kid,,, child really and growing up, I cant get out of the seat fast enough and I try to lay off all the operating I can. I do a few jobs when they need to be precision but routine operation doesnt interest me much. I do all this cause I got to. My world would come to a stop if I didnt mechanic and operate.

  2. #2RickW42021-04-09 23:27

    Yes it takes a lot of control and precision to operate a dozer. It's cool to hear that you started out as a kid and had grown fond of the industry. I've tried operating a dozer once since my friend was one of the operators in a construction site and that was one of the best experience I ever had (I'm only a forklift operator btw).

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-04-10 08:53

    Welcome to HEF, Rick ! Actually you are not only a forklift operator, that job is just as important as any other.

  4. #4cuttin edge2021-04-10 10:46

    That's true. Like any other machine, there are some good operators, and some not so good. Used to haul OSB from a mill here. Some guys, could load you without touching your trailer, and some always gave your scrub rail that kiss.

  5. #5HardRockNM2021-04-11 17:21

    I don't know him, but I used to live about 45 minutes from Salem and a good friend runs a ranch not too far from the Royal Oak charcoal plant in that neck of the woods.

  6. #6Sberry2021-04-11 19:43

    I get tired of operating in a hurry. I am great for about 30 minutes, people comment I musta been born on it which I really was I spose but,,,, I get really sloppy in a hurry. Crane noit so bad as it is usually a relatively short attn span. But my neighbor watch me dig a stump or tree out with a small dozer and watched pretty intently and said,,,, not a wasted move,,,, ha

  7. #763 caveman2021-04-11 21:16

    I'm using a dump site that the owner is 94 and drives his track loader up from his house and pushes off. I really like "settling up" at the end of the day normally take a hour or so just a great guy to chat with. I'm looking forward to go to work just to see him.

  8. #863 caveman2021-04-12 19:02

    Finished round one today 53 loads had a bit of rain that started to let the mud pump up and get drug up on street so I took skid loader down and cleaned things up and put the stones blocking the entry back in place. We settled up and was glad to hear we are welcome back in the future. He asked me to read his daily devotion to him (his eyes were having trouble focusing); I'm looking forward to round two.