So today I was running our 924G plowing snow and I got into the near end of the red on the fuel guage. I brought the machine to the fuel truck and shut it off, went to fill machine but found fuel truck was empty so went to start machine again to take it to fuel tanks and machine would just crank and crank and crank and not turn over. I figured that I had it too low that it didn't have enough fuel to start the machine. So i took the fuel truck, filled the tank in the back of the truck and came back and filled the 924 up. tired to start the machine again and still no start just cranked. Used the lift pump under the turbo and worked that for a minute or too. tried starting machine, no start. removed the fuel water seperator filterwith bowl (was fuell of fuel), tried removing other fuel filter but couldn't get it off so opened drain plug on it and fueled drained out. ok so filters have fuel, left fuel water seperator off and tried lift pump and had no fuel squirt out. thought was odd but put filter back on and tried lift pump again...tried cranking again and still no start. no lights or whistles going on in the cab, pre heat will come on and do its thing... So now I have to troubleshoot this and I'm wondering if I'm thinking on the right track... No fuel is being sucked out of the filter upstream... plugged line from tank to lift pump? lift pump gone bad? (can/does this happen when fuel level goes low?) Should you not be able to feel or hear the fuel go through the lift pump when activating it? clogged fuel filters? - not sure when last service was clogged line upstream of the filters to the pump? last resort crack injector lines and see if anything is happening? maybe I have it air locked and that's why no fuel is leaving the filters? plans of attack? run line from pale of good fuel to intake of lift pump and see if it sucks it up...remove fuel lines at filter housing and see if fuel is coming through...change filters, crack injector lines? Thoughts, suggestions whatever else you can think of would be greatly appreciated! David
You could try taking the fuel cap off, remove the supply line from filter or lift pump (which ever it goes to first), and blow back through supply line from tank until you hear bubbles in tank. Re-connect lines and try lift pump again.
Crack lines at injector pump. These can be a real pain when they run out of fuel.
Thanks Atco! I will try that! I just found it very weird that it just up and quit....but i guess its possible it sucked up some debris up the fill pipe.....
I'm hoping it doesn't come to this! I've had to do it before when i worked at the dealership and it was a pain and took a while to bleed the system...
Transfer pump seems to be after primary filter which makes it tough to bleed properly. H series has an electric pump with a primer switch right on the housing. Crack lines on yours and crank and crank. Been there
It can happen dsichewski. Just a couple weeks ago we had some electricians working on some of the post lamps at our yard and we let them use a JLG 80HX on our yard. They ran it low on fuel and it quit, was about 20 yards from our fuel tank. I poured 5 gals of fuel in it to move it to our tank. Worked the lift pump manual lever, it tried to run, but just wouldn't get up and go. I said "to heck with it!" Pulled the supply line loose, blew air through it, re-connected supply line, worked lift pump, she ran like a top then. It's not unusual for diesel tanks to have crud hanging around the bottom of the tank. When plenty of fuel is in the tank, it pretty much stays there, more than enough fuel on top to draw from. But when you run one low, down at the E level, well, a lot less fuel quantity to supply engine. Then the stuff on the bottom starts being drawn to the suction pipe. Goes downhill from there. If you get it going again, regardless of the cause, make sure you drain the bottom of that tank to remove water and dregs.
yeah the H is nice,,, you just crank and crank and it primes itself....the G series...not such luck... I'm guessing your figuring I've air locked it and that's why its not sucking fuel from the filters? the one nice thing about the G is that the fuel lines arn't the crack and replace lines....these you can crack and reuse. lol Yeah I'll crack at either the pump or injectors itself...If i remmeber correctly its crack all 4 to start with and as fuel starts flowing through the fitting tighten it up.....its been a good 2yrs since I've had to crack the lines to bleed a system.....lets hope the starter holds up. haha
Call me david machine have a funny way of working sometimes. lol I am going to blow out the line whether its the problem or not becasue something tells me that its never had that done before. I'm also going to try and find out how much overdue the machine is for service...from what I was told they dealer did a service just before they got the machine in the summer....I'm pretty sure they've put at least 250hrs on it since then....I've put a good 70 on myself plowing snow. lol the fuel filters are probably in need of changing... I'm not sure how easy it will be to get at the drain plug for the fuel tank as its burried under the rad support... but will investigate. Thanks again for the help, its greatly appreciated! Its funny how after a good year and 3/4's of being out of pulling wrenches full time how much info you retain and loose. lol