Hey everyone I found this forum looking for info on a new to me loader. I poked around some and have learned a lot already and it looks like a great place to find some info. I am green as a tree when it comes to wheel loaders. I recently purchased our first wheel loader ever, an early model CAT 930G for farm use. I took it out on the road today for the first time and it seemed to lack any get up and go. I could only do 18? mph and had almost no power on hills. It felt almost like it was powering out.. I down shifted to get up most rises in the road. Once you made it to the top it would pick up speed down hill no problem. I feel like it should be better but again I have no idea. What can I expect out of this loader?? What Should I be looking at to fix this issue.
I need to correct myself... after reading a number of posts on similar loaders I misquoted my loader model. It is a 924G not 930
The first thing to try is a stall test. This will immediately tell you if you have a low power problem or a transmission problem. Use an accurate phototach. In the absence of a serial number, I randomly chose a 9SW prefix from a choice of 14 so the RPM figure may be wrong. Cun n paste from SIS; "The converter stall test is a test of the engine, torque converter, drive train, and brake system as a unit. The converter output stalls with the engine at full throttle. This test will give you an indication if the engine and transmission performance is acceptable under full load. An engine speed that is lower than normal or an engine speed that is higher than normal indicate engine problems or transmission problems. When the performance of the engine is correct, but the stall speed is not correct, the problem is in the converter or the problem is in the transmission. The drive wheels must not turn during the stall test. Put the machine in position against a solid object that will not move. Engage the parking brake. When tests are made, the service brakes must be applied. Make sure that the transmission oil is at normal operating temperature. The normal operating temperature of the transmission oil is 82° to 93°C (180° to 200°F). Install the 9U-7400 Multitach Tool Group on the engine. The 9U-7400 Multitach Tool Group can measure engine rpm by the use of the photo pickup and the reflective tape. Apply the service brakes and start the engine. Note: To make sure that the transmission oil does not get too hot, do not keep the torque converter in a full stall condition for more than 30 seconds. After the torque converter stalls, put the control in NEUTRAL. Run the engine at 1200 to 1500 rpm in order to cool the oil. Put the transmission control lever in fourth speed FORWARD. Push down the accelerator pedal completely. Allow the engine rpm to stabilize and take a reading from the tachometer. The correct stall speed is 2200 ± 100 rpm. A stall speed that is low indicates that the engine performance is not correct. Wait at least two minutes in order to repeat the test with the transmission in NEUTRAL."
It is a 9SW serial number
I’m with my learned friend above. Do the stall test and measure the engine RPM. That’s going to either implicate or eliminate the engine as a result of a single test. While we’re talking about the engine have you done the basics like changing air filters and fuel filters plus servicing the fuel system in general (e.g. draining water and sediment from the fuel tank)..? Last thing. Do you have at least the basic Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.?
Does the machine dig OK? Wheel loaders are not cars or trucks or even tractors. You can't expect to get much speed out of them, especially when climbing hills. If your transmission oil wasn't over heating and your engine was getting enough fuel and air, the machine is likely doing the best that it can do. I once was dispatched to a WA600 loader for a speed issue. The operator stated he could get the machine up to 24 miles and hour and it wouldn't do it now. My response was that that machine was never designed to go that fast and I would not want to be in it when it was. Well sure enough he has to prove me wrong and he sets off with me in the cab down a slight hill in the road and the machine gets up to 18 miles and hour. He is a bit aggravated with me so I have him park the machine so I can check things out. When I open the door to the engine, the first thing I see is the seals gone from both the load screw and the high idle screw. Then I pull the fuel strainer and sure enough it is plugged with water and debris. I fixed that issue and told the operator about the seals and he gave a smug look and said that's OK. I noted all that in the service report and since the machine was long out of any warranty consideration, I left the screws where they were. He tested the machine down the incline again and had a big smile. A month later the engine let go nearly cutting itself in half. The owner complained about the engine life and the service manager pulled out my report and all the complaining went up in smoke.
And the steering response can make a front end loader a bit squirrely when running near top speed! Throw in some sloppy pins and bushing on steering cylinders and it can get exciting fast! Not to mention the effects of slop in the lift arms and bucket! Not saying this machine does not have a problem but 18 mph is about all I would want to be driving most front end loaders.