1978 931, Getting ready to repair the control valve for the steering clutch. Has had a hard spot in the stroke for some time now, sometimes sticking in the depressed position and now the clutch is starting to slip. I'm thinking pressure is leaking by the valve and applying some pressure on the clutch. Just looking for any advice or things to watch out for. Never done this before. Thanks!
Do you have any manuals.? If not I might be able to find some parts and/or disassembly information with a Serial Number.
look for trash in the valve or a bad spot on the spool or bore
I do have a service manual. Also found a good diagram and all part numbers etc on parts.cat.com. The prices are even listed. Serial is 25y0761.
I'm anxious to see what it is. Hopefully will be able to tear into it tomorrow.
finally got in it and I do see some problems. 1. The "stem" (5G 0146) has some wear on one side. Looks like it was rubbing something? The seal in that area "lip type seal" was really brittle and hard. I don't know if it was making contact with the housing or not. Anyway that's what it felt like too, like something binding up.
2. The other area that looks worn is the spool (5G 0216). Not sure it's bad but I can feel that shinny spot so I'm going to relace it.
I have a parts diagram with numbers and prices etc. What I'm wondering now is where to get the parts. The local dealer says he can get them but I wonder if there are good alternatives, better pricing but good parts? The roller (5J 8966) that rides on the cam and pushes the stem has a small flat spot. It cost 84.00 at the dealer. Seems high to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Try Offroad Equipment in Alcoa TN.
25y0761 I thought I put that in the orig post but I see that I did not. Sorry.
Thank you, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for.
They have a web site but anecdotal evidence is that their service on the phone is even better, especially if you already have a list of Part Numbers.
I'm old, I like the phone much better. Thanks!
25Y0761 is a very early 931B. If the roller replacement included pressing the old one out and installing the new one the price isn't quite as ridiculous. I had to have the spool in a steering valve rechromed because it was leaking. It looked like one side was rubbing more than the other. Chroming was about $300 and the shop that rebuilt it charged about $300 as well. What irked me was the price to rebuild it seemed to have been based more on the cost of chromium (done by another shop) than the actual time it took to take it apart and put it back together. It is a very simple small valve that shouldn't have taken close to 2 hours to R&R.
Got her back going today. Really, Really appreciate the help. So nice to know there's someone there if I get into a jamb. Had some issues on the parts. Seems they have updated the "handle" part of the control valve. The new one has a slightly larger diameter stem. Seems impossible to find an new stem that will fit the old handle. They sell the whole assembly as an upgrade, but you can get the individual parts,,, they just won't fit the old handle. I'll gather the part numbers etc. and put them on here in the next day. Thanks!