Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

931B backhoe woes..

Welder Dave ยท 2014-12-14 21:10

I posted this in the TLB section but meant to post it here. Do you ever wish that you would have never got involved with machinery? Every time I think I have things fixed, something else goes wrong. Must have got some bad fuel with water in it cause the tractor started fine, then died a few minutes later. I saw a green tint in the snow where it was parked. Took a closer look and noticed the sediment bowl was loose. Took some diesel out today and was going to fix it. The sediment bowl was completely full of ice and the tank was empty. I'm thinking maybe the ice expanded, squishing the gasket and that's what caused the bowl to come loose? Took a little propane torch and had it about 5" away(not too hot) to thaw the ice and then ping. The glass broke. So now I have to get a new sediment bowl. A guy I know was out at my land and said he noticed a leak on the backhoe on my Cat. I was planning to thaw out the right sprocket on the Cat anyway so took a look. The rotary cylinder for the backhoe swing is leaking out the top somewhere. I've read that these rotary swing cylinders aren't the best but that's what I have. I'm hoping it's just a seal. I still have the service manual but it only lists the older style D3 backhoe with a different swing mechanism. I believe my backhoe is a 5G-2150. The serial # for the 931B is 25Y 01916. Has anybody ever worked on one of these rotary cylinders or have a parts breakdown or repair procedure for it? I just see $$$$ signs if if it needs more than seals and that's if parts are even available. The swing works other than the leak but I don't want to make things worse and oil adds up fast too.

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-14 23:44

    Leaking out of the top where? I don't know squat about cat, or that backhoe, but every rotary swing I've messed with (so far!) has had a leaky o-ring in the cover groove, 8 1/2"x 1/8" maybe? There's no rocket science inside of them, just track down the leak, take the cover off, and replace.

  2. #2Welder Dave2014-12-15 21:16

    I can't tell exactly where the leak is because there is a bunch of dirt and crap around the top. From what I've read, you have to be careful taking them apart so you don't break something inside. Then there's figuring out how to remove the unit so you can fix it. I don't know how much room you need to lift the cover. That's why it would be nice if somebody had a parts list or even better a service procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if these are obsolete and if they aren't, they wouldn't be cheap for a new one. I don't have a shop to work in and being it's winter, I might wait till spring to look further into it. If I could see what's involved, then I could decide if I want to fix it in the cold.

  3. #3AllDodge2014-12-18 14:58

    Take a pic of the area your looking at so maybe I can find it in SIS

  4. #4Welder Dave2014-12-18 20:03

    Thanks AllDodge! Nige sent me a pm with parts list and R & R procedure. There's a lot of parts inside. I'd like to find someone who's worked on them before because I'm wondering if I should just replace the leaking seal seal or go through the whole unit.