Finally got a chance to fill the hyd. tank. It took almost 3 pails of oil. In hindsight I should have bought the oil last fall when it was $50 a pail. I knew it would be several month's before I could work on the Cat. Now it jumped to $65 a pail. Just for hyd's. I use TDH fluid from Walmart. It's still the least expensive and I've never had an oil related problem using it. It was $50 for years. No way I could pick up a pail of oil so found a lever type drum pump on sale for $20. The telescoping suction tube wouldn't fit inside the spout but I removed the telescoping section and the pipe fit inside. It's a decent metal pump. They had a pump that fit 5 gal. pails for $21 but it was all plastic crap. I started the machine and no leaks. I had to replace the 4 wire hose coming directly off the pump. I want to do a little work with the machine and get it warm before I put the side panels and belly pan back on. Would hate to have a leak and have to pull the belly pan off again. I also have to see if the steering valve I had rechromed is leak free. It better be, the guy at the shop that did it was a little full of himself. Anyway so far so good. Just need the weather to cooperate so I can put it to work. Wondering if others work a machine to check for leaks after replacing a hose or just put all the covers and belly pan on figuring it's good.
Depends on what you are going to do with the machine. If you are going to clear some trees then I would put the stuff back on. If you are just going to play around in some dirt then leave them off. It shouldn't take long to know if you still have any leaks or not.
Just want to move a little dirt. I learned my lesson leaving the belly pan off. The machine was going in for warranty on the engine so I took the belly pan off thinking it would save a little. I wanted to push some loam up into a pile. Sure enough I snagged a hydraulic line that runs underneath on the 1 stray branch laying on the ground. Didn't rip it off but tore some of the outer rubber cover off the hose.