Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

931B OIL PAN REPAIR

dirtworksequip931 ยท 2025-03-16 12:37

When I went to NY from WV to check out the 931B I was interested in and going over it, the first thing I saw was the track was sagging. Then when I was checking the fluids there was no oil on the stick. So, I asked the seller if he had any engine oil or a grease gun. The original owner had passed away and his son in law was selling the machine on FB Marketplace. Originally was asking $17,000 but after a month dropped the price to $13,000. So, the son in law had no grease gun or engine oil. I then ask if there was a NAPA anywhere close. He gave me directions an said there was about 10minutes away. On the way to NAPA I happened to see a Tractor Supply. Went in and bought 2 gallon of engine oil a grease gun and 3 tubes of grease. When I got back to the loader, I told the son in law. I will start putting engine oil in it and if it's still not on the stick "I am walking away". Well 2 gallon put it on the full mark. So, that is a good thing. Now for the track adjuster. Pumped it up with grease and the track adjusted out. As soon as I moved the machine the track sagged again. I told him we will try it one more time. Pumped it up again and it extended out. Then the son in law stepped up on the track. It immediately sagged under his weight. I said. "It's shot, I will give you $11,000 for it. He says how about $10,500. I said, DEAL, I will take it. The he says it will cost $1,500 to get the adjuster fixed. I have put some money into the loader, but still feel I came out good on the price for the machine and $1000. to get it moved from NY to WV. So, the bottom line on the oil being so low was the small hole in the oil pan. Here is the start of that repair. First I tried using JB WELD two part epoxy in the big tubes. (pic below) I ended up putting 3 layers over the hole in the pan, but each time the oil seemed to want to work its way through the JB. The 3rd layer finally stopped the leak, but left a slight bulge. So, I got another JB product that is the two part putty stick that you can mix with your fingers. The plan was to place some JB over where the hole was and push a quarter over the JB. Once it drys I will put another coat of the JB stick material over the quarter to hopefully give it some more strength. Pics below of the products I used and pics of the pan. 3rd pic: 3 coats of the tube epoxy. 4th pic: slight bulge in tube epoxy.

Replies5
  1. #1dirtworksequip9312025-03-16 12:41

    5th pic: JB stick epoxy with quarter attached. The pic really doesn't show just how dented in the oil pan is. Someone ran the machine with the belly pan off. Evidently hit something hard.

  2. #2Nige2025-03-16 13:53

    Did the belly guards come with the sale, installed or not.?

  3. #3dirtworksequip9312025-03-16 17:20

    Yes, the belly pan was on the machine when I bought it. Once I dropped the belly pan I saw the hole which was only an 1/8 inch and a very slow drip of oil. The oil pan is caved in on the center maybe an inch in. The edges are not bent. Almost looks like someone tried jacking up the engine on the center of the oil pan and deformed the center of the pan. Got the hole patched up with some JB WELD fuel tank repair stick. Leak is stopped.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2025-03-16 18:18

    Pull oil pan and replace also check pick up for damage epoxy is temporary at best

  5. #5dirtworksequip9312025-03-16 19:17

    LOL. From what I understand the engine and transmission has to be pulled to remove the oil pan because the frame cross member is in the way. So, that's not happening. I have made oil pan repairs with this product and they have held up for years.