Hi, I have a Cat 938Gii loader serial number B9Y00228 and was wondering if there was any chance of obtaining the service repair manual PDF for the dissembling the handbrake mechanism to change the brake linings on this machine. Regards Steve
This should help.
Thanks very much Nige, much appreciated. By any chance can you tell me the thickness when the brake drum for the park brake is a throw away?
Sorry, no spec listed. Unless the operators have been driving through the parking brake then in reality the drum ought to be in pretty reasonable condition.
Ok thanks. I’m just getting all the information together before I pull it down. I bought the machine, last year and really have no idea of it’s history. The park brake is pretty much non existent at the moment, so was getting ready to replace the cable, linings and possibly the drum.
Might be a stupid question but have you tried adjusting it, or is the adjuster seized which is usually the case if nobody has touched it for a long time.?
Hi Nige, yeh I’ve done all the simple things first, the adjuster works fine. I don’t think the cable is stretched, but will confirm that with a new cable side by side. The previous’s owner’s operators might have drove through the parking brake, as the parking brake limit switch was inoperable and I replaced it. I also had to replace the dash because it was inoperable, I think it might have got a welding surge, not sure but the new one does what it is supposed to do. When you put the machine into gear you had to do it twice before the park brake switch was changed out. Now it selects properly every time. The park brake needs attention now!!!
That’s the park brake “drive through” facility on all Cat wheel loaders. If you can’t get the park brake to release (or like you the switch is damaged) by selecting a gear twice the 2nd time the transmission will engage. This allows for the machine to be driven out of whatever situation it’s in with the park brake still applied. The downside is that it burns out the park brake. I think this is where you came in and explains how the brake was damaged - all for a $10 switch....
Exactly! All for a $10 switch, which I have replaced and I am now slowly working through everything and getting the machine back the way it should be after the previous owner let it go…..the next job is sort out the park brake by disassembling and working out what other damage has been done…..
Thanks for your help Nige , much appreciated and I’m sure I’m going to have plenty more questions to ask as time goes on…..