engine overheating even sitting at idle machine died and wouldn't turnover after making a honking steam ejecting sound Thermostat works, pulled head and no obvious head gasket leak. pistons look OK next chore is pulling water pump. Is it feasible to remove fan and pulleys without removing radiator. These things are a bear to work on close quarters and everything tight as hell. Any advice otherwise thanks in advance MK
Hi, If you can find the serial number , then mention it here for clear references.
It's gotta be a 6DS##### with a 3046 as there is only one variant. Why would you pull the head first? Toss a stat in. Check for coolant flow. Measure temperature drop over radiator, after verifying air can flow through. If the engine won't start, you could rig something to spin the pulley.
The thermostat works I put it in hot water and it opens/closes. Machine was steam cleaned after I got it buried in mud so radiator cooling fins are pristine. 6DS 00509 The hoses to and from radiator were both equally hot (dont remember exact #) I will confirm flow through radiator and attached hoses thanks for the pump test info Has anyone had luck removing pulleys from water pump or fan from pulleys without removing radiator? thanks
No need to confirm flow through the radiator, if the temps are equal to and from the radiator, then it's flowing water fine on the inside, but it's not moving nearly enough air through the outside. Did you clean the radiator from both sides and look through it to be sure? If there's something in front of it, then it's extremely hard to clean it through the fan.
This has taken a long time but I got to the looking at the radiator and the backside was really caked with mud I pulled the guard and front of radiator looked perfect I started blowing compressed air into the front and for 45 min got a constant return of tiny pieces dried caked dirt No air from front to back I had gotten it stuck bad and radiator sprayed with muddy water and pudding consistency material (fan blowing back to front) My mistake was assuming the steam cleaning guy had really cleared this stuff not done but pretty sure this is/was the problem all along question? best source for head gasket and thermostast gasket. I want quality but not cat dealer mark up
Try Off road equipment, google search. And get the radiator out to fully clean it.