Hey Everyone. I've been lurking here for about a year. I have a problem that I think I know how to fix, but I figured I would run it by some other eyes first. 1994 Case 1840 has an issue where, no matter what attachment or load is put onto it, will tilt downward at a pretty fast rate. I'd say it will go from top to straight down in about 30-45 seconds. A real pain in the butt. It had a leaky cylinder when I bought it last year, so I re-packed it thinking that was the issue, but the problem continued. I've been getting used to keeping the handle down while I move around, but ultimately, I want to get it fixed. There is a loss of hydraulic fluid, at a low rate. I've only been able to find a leak at this one spot on the top of the tandem pump assembly. This is on the front (closest to the bucket) assembly, where the left-hand control linkage attaches. The reason I am questioning if this is the cause, is because the left-hand control does not control the tilt. So why would this effect it? I understand that any leak is a potential loss of pressure, but I see no other problems with the machine. The lift holds high without ever dropping. Anyone have any ideas? I'm planning on ordering new o rings and possible a new spool, just in case. But is it possible that I'm looking in the completely wrong place for this issue? Thanks in advance!
I would first pic up two caps and plugs for the bucket cylinder, remove and plug the two hoses on one side at the hose ends. slowly raise your loader up and see if it(bucket) leaks down. Uncap and do the other cylinder and check it also. Check the linkage to the control valve that it is allowing the valve spool to be in the center position. Unhook the linkage and measure the spool travel from neutral to dump and rollback to neutral. You could have a issue with the centering spring or end cap. Check all options because it could be packing, loose piston, linkage issue, centering spring, internal spool/ valve bore damage. The pump shaft o ring should not be a bad job, they can sometimes be a pain to get out, keep the area clean when doing repairs, that system works in a loop and the oil is replaced by it's charge pump, do not think it has anything to do with the bucket creep.
Your picture is of the tandem travel pump, and has nothing to do with the bucket tilt circuit. There is an updated servo spool to repair your leak there. As for your bucket creep, it is most likely one of your cylinders has a loose piston. If you don't know how to check for a bad cylinder, just disassemble them both, and make sure the piston is tight on the rod. Very common issue for the piston to come loose.
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll start with the caps and plugs to test the cylinders this week.