Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

94 WA-180 brakes

BAD5oh ยท 2010-08-31 13:35

for a couple years the loader has been losing brake fluid in the res in the cab. No external leaks to be found and the axles when checked every fall never seem to be past the fill line. lately now the res is emptying a lot faster when used Fast forward to today- pulled the right rear housing off the center section of the rear diff to replace an axle seal. I do not know too much about these wet brakes but while the housing was off just for kicks I pressed the brake pedal and fluid started comming out of the center section. Is this correct? I tried looking at my book for a breakdown on how the brakes work but didn't get far with a parts manual. Just wondering if this happens to be the leak I am looking for and also if someone can give me an education on how they work. any help is much appreciated Dave

Replies6
  1. #1cps2010-08-31 14:23

    Dont no much about your system, but basicaly i would say that it is your leak, now that your in there id change the seals anyway saves a big job later! Post a few pics and we will be able to tell you more about your system!

  2. #2John C.2010-08-31 21:15

    As I recall those are wet disk brakes and the axles used the same oil as the brakes. Loosing just a little at a time probably wouldn't raise the axle or final level enough to confirm where the leak is. You stepping on the brake pretty much confirms the leak. As I recall there are two reservoirs on your machine. Later machines I believe used the hydraulic system oil to operate the brakes. I've mostly worked on the bigger machines so this may be different than yours. You will have to pull the wheels. The final drive and brake housing are usually pulled together in one unit. You have to have brackets that hold the two housings together as I recall. A service manual will confirm that and give you a print on the build up of the brackets if you need them. Using the brackets means you can leave the Duo Cone wheel seal alone. You pull the sun gear and drive axle out and then remove the bolts holding the brake housing to the axle housing. Once that is done you stand the final and brake housings up on the final and dismantle the brakes from the back. Again you will need a book to confirm this especially if you haven't had these types of brake apart before. If one side is leaking it's a safe bet that the other isn't far behind. Good Luck!

  3. #3BAD5oh2010-09-01 07:35

    Here are some pics. Brake fluid just comes right out of the center section. What is it exactly that I should be looking for that would be leaking? Seal? Something that acts like a wheel cylinder of some sort that is no good?

  4. #4BAD5oh2010-09-01 14:17

    After taking a better look at the brake system this afternoon I think I have a better understanding of it. The piston which looks like a steel ring slides back and forth on the carrier when pressure is applied and released. Looks like I need to replace the o-ring on the piston and carrier

  5. #5cps2010-09-01 17:20

    Yep, there may be 2 big o-rings inner and outer, it will all make sence when you take the piston out!! not an expensive fix even at dealer prices for the o-rings!

  6. #6John C.2010-09-01 19:45

    The photos bring back some memories. The brakes and finals are not at the wheels but just next to the differential. I guess I have too many brain cells that have bit the big one. A parts book will help you but you probably should have a service manual. Good Luck!