Just built a new rad guard and change the fuel line from the tank to the pump. Hauled the 941 to the other farm unloaded had it idling while I put the trailer in the shed and it start making a grinding noise coming out of the front of the transmission. The front seal on the trans has seeped for years. The machine is moving fine the transmission is full of oil. Is there a bearing on that front shaft that is going out? My rails are not very good may be time to junk the old girl. I was hoping to get one more season out of her and that would finish cleaning that farm up.
The bearings in the torque converter may have failed. Make sure that nothing was left in there from replacing the line so check that first. Later Bob
Does the grinding stop if you put it in gear without moving?
Nothing was left when the line was replaced. I used it at the home place after I had built the grill guard and changed the fuel line and everything was ok. I will be going over to the other place tomorrow and I will start it again and see if the noise goes away when I put it in gear.
Got over to the other farm today to check out the cat Noise doesn't stop when it is put in any gear. rubber drive coupling looks good but the drive shaft going in to the transmission seems to have a lot more play at the input of the transmission and the front seal is leaking a fair amount of oil now it has seemed for years but never leaked like it is now. Looking in the book I wonder if a bearing is going out of the transmission pump. The Disassembly and assembly 941 and 951b tractor power train doesn't show this real good.
Sounds like the bearings have failed in the torque converter. Take the coupling and the rear flange out and check the shaft for movement. It's a big job but they torque will come off of the trans for repair. Later Bob
Bob After looking more a the manual I was afraid that is what happen. I will probably load the old girl up and take that apart on the trailer as if the transmission does have to come out it probably will just get junked. About five years ago the rails were getting worn enough I will having a hard time keeping the tracks on on side hills. so I found a junked one that had track guides this one didn't have any welded them on and have be able to keep the tracks on but the rails are getting bad. So I am not going to spend a bunch of time and money on the transmission I will probably have to do with out a track loader.