Hello All- Last year, I found engine oil quantity rising, while coolant level was down. The service manual says 'replace oil cooler". I did this, and drained engine oil, changed oil filter, and purged crankcase with butyl celosolve. Drained crankcase, changed oil filter, filled with fresh oil. Cranked the old girl up, and ran over 18 hours on the clock doing odd jobs on the farm. I noticed low power going up a grade with the bucket full, but not very low. The next morning, engine would not start until I advanced the throttle a little past normal. In an hour of running, I noticed low power under load again. Parked the tractor pending further investigation. Upon parking, all fluid levels were normal. Several days later, the engine would not start at any throttle setting. Fluid levels still normal. Several weeks later, I determined to trouble shoot the problem. The fluid check showed 2 gallons down in the radiator, and 2 gallons overfull in the crankcase. I don't see how that much coolant could leak through a head gasket not under pressure. The book says bad gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. I need some ideas/insights into what the problem might be, before I go pulling the head off. The low power thing has me scratching my head, but it must have some bearing on the situation. I appreciate any and all ideas. Regards, Clark
In 2 weeks that’s not surprising. It could transfer that much in 2 days. There are a few ways it can transfer. A serial number would help get the right info. A bad oil cooler will usually put oil in the radiator.
The S/N is: 19Z935. Never any sign of oil in the radiator. Antifreeze has been checked regularly for the last 3 years. Hour meter is running at 11,520 hours.
Generally an Oil Cooler will flow Hi Pres to Low, IOW from Oil to coolant side. Head or head gasket is no pressure to stop the coolant from flowing regardless if under pressure or not, will add coolant to oil where under pressure will do it some faster. Most likely there or a Liner packing gone to hell or sleeve pitted thru but that would also cause piston issues and often loss of power on a hole as the piston cooked off.
I agree on the above. The 3204 engine does not have cylinder liners or seals. Are we looking at a head defect or just a head gasket failure?
I would drop the oil pan and you should be able to see where the coolant is leaking but a head gasket gasket is fairly common
Forgot that part sealark, bored block, could still have a erosion weeper thru a cylinder wall if has been abused as to coolant in the past.. Would drop the pan pull Valve cover and pressurize it.
So with a 3204 low power and hard starting i would guess a head or head gasket problem ..i have seen a 3208 leak through lower water jacket of the block into the pan.
I would tend to agree if it is leaking that bad dropping the pan and looking you would probably see the source. Only a few places that would be common and bad block and head gasket would be up near the top of my list.
Pull the valve cover and see if any of the cup plugs are leaking,if you have a way to pressurize the radiator you can check it better. Bob
Thanks fellers. All good ideas. I will be digging in when it quits raining. Regards, Clark