Just bought a 943 and the machine will only move slowly forward in F and R no matter the throttle position. Linkages seem correct. Just ordered new track pedals(frozen up). The only thing I see missing is a linkage from the throttle to hystat. Haven’t changed filter yet but machine Was operating normally 4-6 weeks ago. Any tips or is the hystat trashed?
I also should add hystat is full of 10wt.
s/n for the experts
I'm pretty sure that the throttle to HPCU linkage is important
Serial number 03Y01541 I believe
The frozen steering pedals are caused by the corrosion of the needle bearings in the pedal mounts. Aftermarket bearings work well, but you may have to resort to the vise and large hammer to disassemble the shafts and mounts.
Pedals not returning fully will cause this
Thank you gentlemen. I was a little worried. CAT informed me today that the pedals I ordered were just that “the pedals”. So into a bucket of tranny fluid the assemblies went and I ordered bearings hopefully they come apart. Will update when I get a little farther on repair.
Pedals and linkages are now correct. Filter/fluid changed. Loader still just creeps forward In F or R.
Can you verify that the centre pedal linkage is correct? There are alignment holes in the brake lever and valve body.
I found a broken spring when we tilted the cab and removed linkages for steering pedals from trans. This spring was on the right side of the machine somewhat behind the linkages for steering. Probably 2 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. The center pedal seems to move freely but will not stop the machine when creeping forward. I will triple check everything. I’m sorry I’m not a HE mechanic by any means just a guy trying to solve this.
This is the brake lever (circled) seen from the right side of the machine. The spring (red arrow) is possibly the spring you found. The hole in the lever (blue arrow) should align with a hole in the valve body when the brake pedal is in the off position.
and by the way, apologies for inexperience are not necessary around here.
May catch a bit of rub once in awhile but most of us even the old hands are always on the learning curve.
The hole looks to be aligned. That was most definitely the spring I found. Thank you! Atleast now when I go to order one I can tell them where it goes.
Spring Ref #2 is Part Number 1U-1648 according to the Parts Manual.
No worries. Sometimes, even the old hands are stumped by a hydrostatic transmission.
Yes I’m learning these transmissions are really a marvel how they work. Unfortunately the old hands around my area that are familiar with these machines are getting few and far between.
I forgot to update. We were able to get ahold of an expert. He put gauges on the charge ports and after adjusting something inside the hydrostat cover on each side the machine operates normally. The machine made an awful noise (hydraulic) of some sort. As he listened and adjusted the noise went away and the machine functions normally. Machine was on its first job in years and blew a hydraulic hose between the hystat and right side drive motor. It’s was fun to get out. But was working great!
That hose is hell if it is that short one with the metal pipe on it!
A good condition 943 is my favorite track loader, powerful for size, fuel efficient, great visibility, have something behind you for protection, good balance, easy transport. I do believe people overlook the 943, fantastic machine. I have two and make a living with them. Like them so much I had to go 700 miles to find my second one, factory a/c!
Oh and over built to the point you can not hurt them.
I am bettin I know a Guy in IA could destroy one NO problem in short order.