Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

943 track tension rod

Todd Folger · 2022-10-20 15:41

My track tension rod keeps breaking. Any thoughts? It didn’t last 4 hrs. Before it broke. Well lubed, track not adjusted to tight. thanks,

Replies7
  1. #1Vetech632022-10-20 18:42

    Have you removed the cover over your recoil spring and made sure it's not full of rocks and dirt?

  2. #2Todd Folger2022-10-20 20:44

    No, I will look when I break everything down again. thanks,

  3. #3Dave Neubert2022-10-24 15:45

    if your tracks are wore then the idler yoke will hit against the idler causing it to bind and break the rod same for 953s

  4. #4Todd Folger2022-10-27 19:49

    Idler was flogged out beyond repair. Installed new idler and tension rod. what causes idler bearings to go out. Just wear out over time? This is the 2nd idler on the left side. Right side still has the original. Thanks,

  5. #5DB22022-10-27 20:38

    Were original Cat parts installed both times? Or aftermarket?

  6. #6Todd Folger2022-10-28 06:49

    ITR. The idler on the other side holds gear lube. I took it off, checked the bearings and replaced the oil. Holds about 2 quarts. I think it’s the original.

  7. #7lgammon2022-11-27 12:15

    Weak design that they fixed in later years with a bigger rod