Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

943 trans problem

Dozier Digging ยท 2015-01-14 18:58

The other day when it was so cold I started my loader and let it idle to warm up for about 30 mins. Or so when in got on it I pull the lever to go and it would pull stop pull stop this went on for about 5 mins then went on like it should got on it today did the same thing except it just barely pulls I jumped off and check the trans oil and it was on add so I filled it up with cat oil and still does the same thing could it possiy be the filter stopped up

Replies15
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-01-15 10:43

    Likely a combination of cold oil and filter needing changed. Be sure to drain the housing before taking the filter out. Later Bob

  2. #2Dozier Digging2015-01-15 12:40

    Just changed the filter and top off the oil and it pulls but it's slow in forward and reverse it turns fine I actually dropped the bucket in the ground and it pushes into the ground motor is at the right rpm just no speed

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-01-15 13:50

    Have you got the HPCU oil up to temp yet. Thick cold oil will bypass the filter and the flow through the venturie will be less that will cause slow travel. If you have a new filter and 10w oil up to temp, clean off the top of HPCU so dirt will not get inside. Take off the cover, lock the brakes by removing and capping the brake line. Start the machine, move travel rod slightly and look for leaks at the nuts on the internal lines. Be careful not to drop anything inside. The nuts can be purchased separately, may need to look on different serial #. Later Bob

  4. #4Dickjr.2015-01-15 17:17

    I know Bob is the man on these track loaders , but one thing has come to mind. I recently rented a 953B and when the guy unloaded it he pushed the center pedal or brake and it stuck down enough to slow the machine. I hadn't been on a B in a while usually a C. I thought well its just slower than the C. Studied a bit raised the pedal up and bam we were good to go.

  5. #5Dozier Digging2015-01-15 18:06

    I don't think mine has a middle pedal only the 2 steer pedals . Today after I changed the filter and topped of with oil I just let it set and idle for a while then started to operate it did the same thing just slow so I just went back and fourth just trying to build heat in the machine after about 10 mins it got a little faster but still not normal I still don't have a clue want to do next

  6. #6Dozier Digging2015-01-15 18:10

    Someone told me there's a spinner nut inside that cover that comes loose and the o rings under them is usually the problem

  7. #7Bob/Ont2015-01-15 20:15

    If you don't have a center pedal that might be your problem as **** said. If the pedal has been removed there is no way to move it into position and the shaft could be seized up. Make sure the steering pedals come right back, drive the machine and pull up on them. If they are sticking the machine will accelerate. Look under the cab and the lever he center pedal is connected to has a hole through it and a 5/16 nc bolt should go through it into the valve to hold it in the run position for linkage adjustment. Later Bob

  8. #8Dozier Digging2015-01-15 20:22

    I had the cab up today I checked both steer pedals but didn't even consider the middle pedal after thinking about it for a bit it does have a center pedal I just don't never use it

  9. #9Dickjr.2015-01-15 20:35

    No one the operates one of these ever uses the center pedal , but if a new guy or someone moves it for you , a lowboy driver it seems they will almost always hit that pedal and it sticks because its never used. I seen a complete moron , and I mean MORON that had a new 953C use the steer pedals to stop the machine. He would push them both down till travel stopped then move the travel lever. After seeing this while he was loading trucks , I told him it was a crying shame that he could afford such a nice machine and hadn't a clue as to how to use it. Besides that was dangerous being up against a truck like that. It also had a joystick control.

  10. #10Dozier Digging2015-01-15 21:04

    I'm gonna check the middle pedal I bet there was a neighborhood kid playing on it over the weekend it had thAt happen on my dozier a couple of years ago

  11. #11Dozier Digging2015-01-16 12:47

    Ok Im to report the middle pedal was pushed down about.an inch or so I pulled up on it and all is well it didn't jerk stop when it was cold this morning but I will be watching out to see if that went away the trans oil was on add so I too it off so that might have cause that thanks to everyone for there help

  12. #12Bob/Ont2015-01-16 15:57

    I think the jerk stop was from the normal speed changes as it traveled combined with the pedal being low and slowing down the travel. It's a big job but would be good to take out all three of the Dog Houses, pull them apart, polish the shafts then clean and lube the bearings. I have seen stiff steering pedal shafts slow down a machine. Thanks for the update. Later Bob

  13. #13Dozier Digging2015-01-16 18:03

    This machine seems to struggle when digging into a pile of dirt it really drop that much rpm just really strains the engine I had a 953c and it didn't do that I've always thought it was the 4 cyl til someone mentioned to me I need to adjust the linkages what do you think Bob/ Ont

  14. #14Nige2015-01-16 18:10

    Maybe a spot of pedal linkage lubrication would be advisable before thinking about adjustment..?

  15. #15Bob/Ont2015-01-16 19:06

    Dozier, the next time you are buying parts at your dealer ask them to print you a few HPCU test sheets. They have all the pressures and engine speeds when you load up the HPCU. Later Bob