I have 1983 CAT 950B that has a tired air compressor, struggles to make rated pressure and lots of oil passing into air system. Cat doesn't offer a reman compressor but does have parts available, it also appears that there are some aftermarket compressors available. Anyone had any experience with the aftermarket units or is it best to try and rebuild with CAT parts? Loader serial number is 63R01750 and compressor is a single cylinder. Thanks for any info you might have
I personally would be checking with a shop that deals mainly with large trucks. They would very likely have a source for reman compressors. Just guessing that a 950B is running a 3304 or maybe a D330 very possible that this loader would have the same compressor as an over the road truck running a 3306. If there is a tag on the compressor even if it is just a Cat part number post that and maybe someone can try crossing it to a Bendix number. Also a little information on where you are located might help, remember this forum has people from all over the world. Not too many right now in Antarctica, that I know of but who knows they might be there!
We use bendix replacement compressors. Good price and good longevity.
the current compressor doesn't have an ID tag that we could find, crankcase housing is stamped "Made in England" "Clayton, Demandre", only number we could find on the casting is 5F 22A75. Kshansen, we are located in Maine. Komatsukid, is there a particular Bendix compressor you go with and is there much work involved in converting over the air and oil piping? Thanks
Doing a bit a searching by the S/N I find what I think your 3304 engine has for a compressor. Could be either a 1W6755 or 1W6753. According to what I see on Cat SIS and TMIWEB the only difference is in the actual governor mounted on it. I then did a Google search for the 1W6753 Compressor and found a couple sites that show them. Here is a link to one with a good picture: http://gtengineparts.com/1W6753-193013?gclid=CJemjZrB3tECFZiIswodrucMsg Now I have not idea of this company but might be worth at least giving a call. Otherwise use the 1W6753 part number and check with some more local truck parts dealers.
Just checked the link out, that picture looked identical to what is on the loader, hard to beat the price too! This machine is only worked for a few months every year and an after market compressor may be the best way to go. Thanks for the CAT numbers as well as the explanation about the two different part numbers.
We have a dealer near us. We call them and give them the caterpillar part number and the cross reference it to a bendix compressor. All you have to do is swap your fittings over and if need be adjust the air governor. 60 psi on and 120psi off.
I have used Bepco compresors and valves for many years. I go through a distributor and they are in North Carolina.
Your loader was made in Belgium I believe... aftermarket would be the cheaper way.
just wanted to follow up on this post; i ended up ordering an aftermarket compressor from an outfit called CTP through Amazon. I thought by going through Amazon if it didn't work out i had a bit of a chance to work through it. The compressor showed up right on the day they said it would and it fit like a champ, castings appeared to be good quality and appears to be an exact copy. It builds air pressure quickly and sounds and feels really smooth. Best part is they didn't require a core so i can tear the original compressor apart and rebuild it when i have the time if i can find the parts. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread. JW
Thanks for getting back to us on the positive outcome of this project! Well Cat does show most parts as being available for the 1W6753 compressor but the way they have them listed makes it a bit confusing. Depending on the cost for the one you just bought it might not be cost effective to rebuild. If you do tear it down and get an idea of what you would feel needs replacing I could research it a little more.
I appreciate the offer to help look for parts, when things slow down in the shop i will tear the original compressor down and see what i find. The aftermarket one was relatively cheap, like around $350 delivered.