Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

951-C starter

Papa Smurf ยท 2020-07-19 10:44

Any info on why my starter makes a small clicking several times before finally engaging and starting the machine? Does the same exact thing every time I start it.

Replies9
  1. #1sealark372020-07-19 11:36

    The solenoid may be hanging.

  2. #2farmerlund2020-07-19 12:10

    My guess is the disk and the contacts in the solenoid has burn spots on it. if it comes apart just clean it up. if its pressed together you will need a new one.

  3. #3kshansen2020-07-19 12:25

    Any chance of a S/N for the machine? That would probably get you or someone trying to help access to a wiring diagram. But like sealark37 says problem could be in the solenoid. But before jumping at that a little back story would be very helpful! When did this problem start? What work has been done recently? If you turn start switch or hold in start button does it keep doing it for a few seconds then start or do you turn and release a couple times then it cranks? Any chance of using cell phone to record a start up so we could hear it for ourselves? Does it do it worse when engine is cold? When was water level checked in batteries? What is the condition of battery cables, including jumper between batteries? Assume it is a 24 volt direct start but need S/N to be sure of that. I'm sure I or others will have more questions but remember we are not there so only thing we can go by it the information you provide. Something that someone might see in a second might take a few questions or answers to narrow it down. I'm sure with a little time a patients we can get it starting just like new!

  4. #4DMiller2020-07-20 20:13

    Bendix drives would also gum up over time, flat spot on teeth or ring gear would stop from rotating into position.

  5. #5Papa Smurf2020-07-21 22:48

    Serial # 32-F 1521. Machine has done exactly the same each time when cranking since I purchased it. when I turn the switch there is a low clicking sound. It only clicks one time for each turn of the switch. I was reluctant to hold the switch on after it clicked, but a few times I did and it seemed to turn over after a few seconds. Usually I keep flipping the switch on, and it finally turns over and cranks. Engine has recently had a new head replacement and glow plugs installed by the guy I purchased from. Batteries are good, but I will check the cables and connections. Thanks for the info.

  6. #6DMiller2020-07-22 07:06

    Has a carboned contact set in solenoid by sound of it

  7. #756wrench2020-07-22 11:46

    Hook a voltmeter to the battery (or batteries) and watch it while you hit the starter button. Low voltage drop could indicate a solenoid or batt cable/connections issue and a large drop could indicate an internal problem in the starter. Assuming that the batteries are fully charged. You can also check for voltage drop across all the connections. And check and clean all connections on the ground side of the starter all the way back to the batteries

  8. #8farmerlund2020-07-22 19:17

    read post # 3

  9. #9Papa Smurf2020-07-22 22:32

    Gonna check the solenoid and get back to ya, Thanks.