Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953 track adjustment

ColM ยท 2018-03-19 18:38

1984 20Z: adjusters are all the way out and front idler is in the 'high wear' position. Tracks are not loose by any means but noticed last season metal shavings coming off outside of rails on left side. Sprockets are in good shape as are rollers and idler. Is it ever advisable to remove a link, and move the guides back and, of course, retract the adjusters? If not, any other options? I cannot see going into a undercarriage overhaul on this old a machine as I only use it here on the farm and don't log more than a 100 hours a year anymore.

Replies1
  1. #1Theweldor2018-03-19 19:04

    Pretty common to short track a machine to get a few more hours out of it. It will get your adjusters back where they belong. If you don't want to do an undercarriage it is about your only option. It does create faster wear on sprockets and chain but for 100 hours a year I would think it is a viable option.