Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953c hydraulic oil

ncmoore77 · 2020-06-10 20:49

Hi all I have been using my new to me 953c some and I have a question about the fluids I try to check the fluid levels each time before I use the machine I pull the engine oil dipstick and then I assume it’s tje hydro transmission dipstick inside the engine compartment Yesterday I was putting fuel in it and remembered it has a hydraulic oil reservoir up front also I opened the door and it looks to me it’s low on the site glass My questions are is that the oil for the cylinders or what and do I use the same type of oil for that and the transmission Should I use Cat oil or do you guys have a recommendation that is just as good Thanks for any help

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2020-06-10 21:22

    Best thing you could invest in - a manual. About $50 to download from Cat. Just need a machine S/N to identify the correct manual.

  2. #2ncmoore772020-06-10 21:27

    Ordered a manual yesterday just trying to figure this out so I can use it while I wait for my manual to come

  3. #3Tyler d4c2020-06-10 22:32

    Hydraulic oil is checked under the access panel under the loader arms the second dipstick is for the splitter box that drives the pumps.

  4. #4Nige2020-06-13 14:25

    Kinda backwards answers but - no you don't need to use Cat brand oil. So long as you use an oil from one of the major oil companies and it meets the Cat spec in the manual for that particular system you will be fine. This is the location of your pump drive dipstick. Door on the RH side of the machine just below the cab window. To answer your question regarding whether you can use the same oil for the hydraulic system, what oil are you using right now in the pump drive ..?

  5. #5CM19952020-06-13 14:28

    My BBX prefix 953C uses 10WT in the hydraulic system and pump drive. I use a Mobile Cat spec 10WT oil.

  6. #6Cmark2020-06-13 17:33

    Not sure if your manual is out of date, but the latest BBX OMM calls for engine oil in the pump drive box.

  7. #7CM19952020-06-13 17:53

    Cmark I might be wrong on the pump drive. It's been a while since the fluid was changed as the loader only gets 500 or less hours a year. Here we use 15W40 for engine oil. Now the hydraulic is a different story with 10+ year old hoses on it, that fluid gets "changed" a couple of times a year..

  8. #8ncmoore772020-06-13 21:19

    I bought some AW32 hydraulic oil from my local fuel supplier and topped off the cylinder hydraulic oil As for the transmission oil I have only had the loader about a month and have no idea what the last owner ran in the transmission it has a CAT trans filter on it is all I know