I have a 955-12A1739 track loader. while working yesterday, I noticed a trail of fluid on the ground every so often. i checked the rearend and found that there was a hole (threaded) packed with dirt. I fished around and all of sudden, GUSH. Oil poured out of there for a short time.. I thought that there should be a plug there as it is threaded. I went to the other side and found the same thing. a hole packed with dirt and when I poked around it drained oil out as well. I shut the machine down and went to check my manual.. here is my problem, my book doesn't look like the rear in the tractor. Serial # of rear is 7U40773. I checked the transmissiona and it is over filled (from previous owner).. is it possible that i am leaking from the trans into (what i think is brake compartments) and these holes are there as drainage?? can anyone confirm if there should be plugs in these locations?? thanks rod
there was a previous thred with a international 175. would do the same thing but he had the plugs in and the brakes got a oil bath. sounds like you have a seal leaking into the brake compartment and the previous owner pulled the plugs to save the brake packs.
It sounds like the 95512A used the dry steering clutch & brake system.I dont know,never worked on one.Allot of older tractors did and it was common to crawl under one & see the plugs removed on both sides.If this is the case then like buckfever has mentioned,your seals are leaking a little at the ring gear bearings.I'd get the oil level right on the transmission & rear frame and leave the plugs out of the steering clutch compartments .Probably just a slow leak any way.Depends on how much you use it wither to tear in to it to replace the seals.A buddy of mine had a IH td20 that had the dry type clutches.Plugs were out on it,only problem was the left side steering clutch was stuck from the dozer sitting most of the time.He called me & said he wanted it fixed.I put a plug on the left side that had the stuck clutch & filled the compartment half full with diesel fuel.After a few days it broke loose & we drained the fuel out .
The common fix for the drain plugs was to drill a 1/4 in. hole in the center and install a 3/16 in. dia. cotter pin so that it would act as a wiggler to keep it clear yet have the big hole and threads covered.
now thats some good thinkin:drinkup