does anyone have a good aftermarket source for the seals and packing to rebuild a pair of tilt cylinders for a 955-12A thanks rod
Hercules seals, they have a ad/link on this site some times, should be able to help!
Thanks, I have left them a message
rebuilding cylinders How hard is this to do?? I have to have the tilt cylinders rebuilt on my 955-12A and wondered if this was something I could do, or should i have it done by a shop? thanks rod
They will get back quickly! This is a topic debated on this forum many times, with both sides vaid points! i am a heavy equipment mecainic so i do this on a regular basis, just today infact It can be done if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and a few heavy duty tools and brute force! Not sure of your type of cylinders, but if you take a few photos of them we will talk you through the process!:drinkup CPS
CPS, thanks for your replies... I alos belong to ACMOC forum and a couple of guys there indicated that the nuts on the end of the piston is on at an extreme torque setting (680 ftlbs.) I don't think I can undo or retighten to that level... I have the mechanical ability, i think, as I have the service manuals and the process seems very doable... but my manuals do not have a torque setting for those nuts. what would you say they are?? thanks rod
Well im in the middle of building a bench for un doing these type of nut, il be posting pics when (sorry if) it is finished! You can un them 680 ftIbs anit massive, if you have a socket big enough, and a long pipe for a cheater bar, and some thing to hold the end of the rod (eye end) mark the nut on the rod and re tighten to this mark, or i little over it use loc tite and you should be fine! CPS
Baum Iron Works in Omaha,Nebraska baumhydraulics.com 402-345-4122 all the cylinder seal kits you'll ever need
I new here so bare with me ..I've been in the equipment repair for 30 years and i learned a fairly easy way to remove them god awful tight piston nuts from cylinders..On my service truck i have a vice that i dog the rod down to and then using a 4 foot pipe wrench i take my loader and push down on it with the bucket...aint had one yet i couldn't move ..I been studying on puttin a pipe in the ground and concrete around it to keep everything lower to the ground ..Hope this helps Bill
I use Hercules a lot. The Hercules part# according to my catalog for the 12A1-up is BD-507166. You should have a 5" bore and a 2" rod. I would confirm these measurements before ordering anything. Thanks, Quicktrax
I use Hercules and have been very pleased. I have them send me a new set of catalogs every year.