Hey everyone. I have a Cat 955 s.n. 85j4919. Replacing the heater/starter switch on the dash. The orginal switch has a part number of 8S1773. I pasted this into Amazon and wound up getting a switch with part number 7n4160. This switch is not designed the same as the original. On the original switch, you turn it to the left and it fires the glow plugs, you turn to the right and it engages the starter. On this new switch, turning to the left activates the glow plugs but turning to the right closes both poles resulting in the glow plugs and the starter being energized simultaneously. Is this the wrong switch, a bad switch, or did CAT change the design after mine was made and it is ok to use this switch? I have fears that putting the 20Amp glow plugs online while trying to start would be too much amp draw and run through the batteries while cranking in the cold. Thanks Link to new switch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N52BNFL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_nbc4FbKQ700X3
Its a update and as long as your plugs are on a relay you good. Bob
You mean 8S7713? 7N4160 is a direct replacement. As far as both glow plugs and starter operating at the same time, I would call that in improvement. Compared to the amperage that the starter will draw, another 20A will make no difference.
I apologize for the incorrect part number, what you have is correct. 8s7713. Thanks for the information.