Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955 Steering problem

ronm · 2018-05-13 15:58

I have an older cat 955 that doesnt get used very often. Last few times I've used it, the steering gets very stiff. It may start out fine with just finger strength to turn the machine, but at some point the steering gets so stiff I can hardly pull back the clutches at all. Sometimes when your pulling back you can feel a release point and when you get past that point it will again steer like normal. But then the next turn may be stiff again. There doesnt seem to be any pattern to when or if they will work properly. This morning I used it for about an hour and the entire time it was a struggle to pull the clutch back and turn the machine. Any ideals?, is there like a vapor lock or something that could cause it to be so inconsistent...Am I going to do damage by using it like this?...Thanks Ron

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2018-05-18 16:30

    Sounds as something may be laying down, check all the linkages first, to me sounds like rust and trash accumulation.

  2. #2grandpa2018-05-18 18:53

    Wasn't there a screen filter in those old girls that would get clogged... can't remember for sure.

  3. #3ronm2018-05-21 17:25

    Thanks for the info. I’m embarassed to say, I ran it to low on transmission fluid. Filled it with pretty expensive fluid and works great. Thanks again, Ron

  4. #4d9gdon2018-05-21 22:12

    I hate it when that happens. Doh!