Hello,I have a cat track loader 955k serial number 85J 286 I need to take the exhaust manifold off and drill out the studs,my question is can i slide the injection pump out as long as i do not disturb / rotate the crank or pump cam and then reinstall it ,is the pump shaft on a spline of some sort or even a 1 way only fit or what? this pump has no plates on it ,it is moreless just a fairly rounded top simple looking pump. Thanks in advance.
Might help to post a picture of the fuel system just to help identify they style you have on this machine. Thinking this is a 3304 engine??? Before you start drilling those broken studs I would try welding nuts to them and back them out. I have had some luck using a small 120 Volt wire feed welder to do the job on a 3306 a couple years back. Had to do this to about half the studs. I'm sure others could suggest a better type of welder or rod to use. I found using a heavier than normal nut allowed me to put more heat into the stud and made removing them easier. Also while they are still hot push a candle against the hot stud to get some wax to wick down in to the threads seems to help some too.
955k ok,thanks I will try to post some pictures tommarrow,I am brand new to this so it may take the help of my wife to help me post it,LOL, and to add in my old manual my Dad had in writing the numbers 330 and it seems like a letter after the 330 but i will check on it.
955k manifold and pump removal Hello again Kshansen,I tried to post pictures but could not,I see that because i am a newbie on here i am not yet qualified to post pictures as of yet,any idea of another way to get you a picture,via E-mail ? In my research i figured that this serial number of 85j 286 translates to 85j00286 with makes up the 8 digits and the first usa built 955k started in1968 with serial number 85j00278 ,so is it possible that i have the 8th 955k produced? am i way off base here?
955k manifold and pump removal Hello Kshansen I had another idea about how to identify a pump with a picture, if you had any pictures that you can post then i could point out which 1 it is.
No pictures right handy but does this look like the injector pump you have: If this is the style pump you have you should be able to take this much off without disturbing the timing. There will be a drive assembly to the right as you look at the pump with a fuel filter housing on top and a small sediment bowl at the bottom. Do not try removing that drive housing. You can remove the fuel filter housing off the top of the drive housing for added clearance. I hope it goes without saying, but clean the area off very good before opening anything up and cover all open areas while working on the exhaust studs. You should notice that the coupler between the pump and the drive is an offset tongue and groove type coupler so timing can not be upset. If anyone can add to this feel free as I have worked on many 3306 engines but not any 3304's and it has been several years so it is possible I'm over looking something. Found a picture through Google You should be able to split the pump from the drive housing at the red arrow. Then remove the filter housing the green arrow is pointing to. This should give you a far amount of access to the exhaust studs. Note that if the manifold on the 3304 is made like that on the 3306 the stud holes are slotted and you only need to loosen the nuts enough to let it lift up at the flywheel housing end and slide off the fan end to remove and reinstall. Any nuts on studs that are not already broken I would heat them with a torch before even trying to remove them and try the candle wax trick on them. I would also NOT try reusing any studs or you might be doing this job again in a short time.
Mine has the same prefix of 85J and this was the one time CAT didn't change the prefix when they started the change over from K to L. That said I'm having a heck of a time to get your manifold to show up in SIS. There is a possibility that your manifold and lines are different then mine, but I'm unable to verify. If yours is like mine, then you can remove the manifold without removing the injection pump. Mine also had some studs which either snapped off when removing, or had rusted away. I also ran into the issue with buying a classic manifold from CAT that didn't fit. Exchanged the manifold 3 times before they figured out there were wrong parts in the bins. Just a note: I'll try to keep checking this thread to help but I'm not being notified when someone post
Thank you Kshansen,this picture is identical to my setup other than the filter setup ,i have a spin on fiter with no sediment bowl which is no biggie i suppose,I am sure i will take the pump off because my manifold nuts are so bad that i am sure the studs will be thinned out from years of corrosion, even the manifold is completly pitted really bad and broken up where the extension mounts are bolted to it.ok then when i get some nicer weather i will tackle this,thank you.
Thank you Alldodge,in your picture the turbo is mounted directly to the manifold and is a circular base ,but mine is the same as in Kshansen's picture with the 5-6 rise adapter and rectangular bolted flange. Thank you
According to SIS this is what you should have for the pump drive, they call it an accessory drive: You do not want to remove this housing unless you have the correct tooling to set the pump timing. The red arrow points to what I called a sediment bowl actually it is the primary fuel strainer inside the bowl! This should be the spin on fuel filter set up you have:
Yours is different, and my manifold was able to lift up and remove after the bottom nuts were just loosened, maybe yours can be done the same
85J 286 would have a D330c engine if it's still original.
Yes this is the same as mine ,this is great,thanks again ,and when i get done i will post back,it may be awhile before i get done .my shop is full and to cold to work outside rite now.
Yes ,i believe it is all original,and like i said my Dad had written in the parts book D330 3304 so i assume he did not know for sure which one at that time either,in due time i will see if i can find the numbers on block. Do you know about this serial number as far as when this k was built ,I am thinking it was the 8th unit built in the usa in the 85j series,in 1968 but i may not have the correct info. any thoughts?
Both ironrecord and the toughquip book say you are right. If it's original, the engine number will be the same as the machine, as that was the way they did it prior to the introduction of the 3304, 3306 etc in the early 70's when the engines got their own serial numbers.
Ok thanks,i will check that out