I just bought a 1971 955k to use at the local gun club. I played around with it the other day and I noticed a couple of things that I'm a little worried about. I thought I'd ask for some advice. The first is the transmission. After the machine warms up and after backing up sometimes it won't go into 1st. I have to pull it into 2nd or even 3rd to start forward motion. After it starts moving I can go back down to 1st. The other issue is the drive on the right side. I was digging the other days and the machine was spinning the tracks. Then the right track stopped spinning and the left track continued. Is they a weak final drive? The pads are wore down pretty good and I would hate to think how bad it would be if I welded the pads up. Ideas on what you guys think is wrong and roughly what it would cost to repair would be great. Thanks!
Sounds to me the RH steering clutch is slipping. The first thing I would do is free up and lube all the linkage pins for the steering and brakes then try it some more. If it stops that problem then drive forward in first gear full throttle and get on the center brake pedal hard and see if the machine tries to turn or stop straight. Come on back and we will talk about trans. Later Bob
Has the machine been setting for a while prior to purchase? Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Yes, but not sure how long.
I would definitely look into the linkages like Bob mentioned. When I brought my L home, all the pedals were frozen from being parked outside. My right pedal is still hanging up a bit. I have to keep squirting it with penetrating oil and pull it back and forth. It's slowly getting better. I also ended up finding that moisture in my steering clutch oil rusted the booster valve rod and held the plunger in to keep one side freewheeling. I pulled the top cover off the case and cleaned the rust off the rod, and then the clutch started working properly. Pulling back on your pedal will not pull the plunger rod back. The pedal may return, but the clutch still be stuck...