Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955k losing transmission oil

Jim Rey ยท 2019-07-13 15:16

I bought a 71 955k trackloader,have been losing trans oil,believe it is going into the final drive system,it seems to be way over full. Drained the final drive system,noticed the oil was milky colored. I'm going through about 10 gallons of oil an hour,so I have to figure out my problem. Any thoughts on where I should start would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1BigWrench552019-07-13 15:25

    You are loosing the oil through the output shaft that is driving your differential steer clutch assembly. Can't remember the proper name or the procedure to remedy that. It's been too long since I have done that job. I hope this will help and good luck to you.

  2. #2Jim Rey2019-07-13 15:49

    Thanks for the info,I take it the output seal is bad,any idea what kind of a job it is to get to it?

  3. #3ironman992019-07-24 12:50

    It's a job . The steering and brake assembly has to be removed from that side . The hub is pressedon and special tooling has to be used to remove it and re-install .