Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955k reverse

Pete1468 ยท 2017-10-21 18:37

I've got a 955k that I've had for 7 years or so and dad's been running it and says it slips or something in reverse. He plays with the gear shift and away it goes. I parked it for now, is there an adjustment or linkage that gives a problem?

Replies16
  1. #1DMiller2017-10-21 21:19

    Could be wear allowing too much slack not fully engaging, until you open that can of worms up anyone's guess.

  2. #2CavinJim2017-10-21 22:06

    I'd agree with Miller--sounds like loose linkage. Though I've found that on mine, if the engine speed is too low the shift lags just a bit. Not enough that it concerns me as at higher speeds (not full-throttle) it'll shift nice and solid. Do you get the same result when you run it?

  3. #3Pete14682017-10-21 22:13

    I haven't had a chance to run it yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to look at it after I move a dozer.

  4. #4CavinJim2017-10-21 22:31

    Out of curiosity, what's the serial number?

  5. #5Pete14682017-10-21 22:36

    61h456 serial number. My first piece of equipment, I've been trying to think what I'd do without it.

  6. #6CavinJim2017-10-21 22:47

    I have the service manual for your machine, but not the parts book (not a big deal). The 955 serial prefixes are amazing--I have two parts books, one is for 85J (which covers my machine) and the other is 60A and 42D (which is the 955A bulldozer). I have two operation and maintenance manuals--again, 85J for mine and one for 60A, 72A, 77A, and 92A!. And two service manuals--one for my machine and the other is for 61H, 53H, 48H, and 31J. What I find even more perplexing is that for all of the different prefixes the 955K series uses, Cat continued to use 85J for 955L machines! Anyhow, I'll take a gander at the book and see if anything jumps out. Not likely, though.

  7. #7Metalman 552017-10-22 21:23

    On my old 941 that I purchased a couple of years ago, it was slipping out of drive when moving occasionally & then when you move the shift lever in an out a time or two it would go on again ok & then we changed the oils in the trans & bevel gear compartments as well as the filters & cleaned the screen after that the problem went away. I suspect it had heavier oil in it than the spec called for. It shifts fine now & does not jump out of gear any more.

  8. #8Pete14682017-10-25 00:03

    I drove it for 10 minutes tonight and it seems the shifter isn't going all the way to the left for reverse. Once it did it seemed like it wasn't going all the way to the right for forward. I think it's an external linkage problem.

  9. #9CavinJim2017-10-25 00:15

    Check the safety lockout.

  10. #10CavinJim2017-10-25 00:27

    When parked and in "safe", the lever is down, flat against the console and is supposed to lock the shift lever in N and won't let it move left to reverse or right to forward. When "off" it is up and allows free movement of the shift lever but blocks the operator from disembarking to the left. Mine's worn and touchy, the previous owner put a wire on it to hold it up.

  11. #11Pete14682017-10-28 12:52

    Looked at it this morning and thought I found the problem. This pin was rusted tight for the forward reverse shifting. Freed it up and drove it up to the shop, everything worked good. Put a little oil in transmission, drove it 200 feet and now no reverse at all. I'm wondering if I'm having one of those days as nothing is going right today.

  12. #12Pete14682017-11-06 16:48

    I drove it back up to the shop today and everything works as it should. I hate problems that don't stay the same all the time. I was all set to remove the top of the transmission to check pressures but now I don't want to if it's working. Anyone else have a problem like this with their 955?

  13. #13Old Magnet2017-11-06 18:57

    There are no dimensional checks for the linkage. Start with detent in neutral and adjust rods to match the gates. Worn linkage joints may be the problem. Check "safety valve" has to do with transmission oil pressure. If it drops below 100psi the transmission will automatically shift to neutral.

  14. #14Nige2017-11-08 05:00

    I agree with OM. Judging by the appearance in the photo it might be a good time to treat the old girl to a complete set of new rod ends & pins for the shift linkage, also new bushes in all the bell cranks. Once you have the linkage "slop-free" then you can start to think about adjustments. There might be $50 worth of parts in total.

  15. #15DMiller2017-11-08 05:33

    Cannot..help...myself....... May want to start by giving the machine a bath, and yes I do know they do not remain clean long, dropping pans, pulling shield covers and just cleaning up stuff helps ABUNDANTLY.

  16. #16AllDodge2017-11-08 15:40

    When I first bought mine, that pin was the issue with mine also. Removed the lever off the pin, cleaned, greased with synthetic grease and reinstalled. Been working fine ever since. Big issue was there is no grease fitting on it, so will need to be done again every so many years