i hate posting a thread asking for advise on my mess, but alas, I'm stumped on this one! I hope someday I can offer the rest of yall some help, but for now, i'm "that guy" that's got more questions then experience, so I accept my position anyhow, wondering if anyone has any experience with this one... I have a 955k (85J prefix) and after I start it, it won't do anything more then get past a high-idle when I try to move the accelerator to work the thing. it will run wide open when i start it, but if I decelerate it, i can't get back to more of a working engine speed. At first I thought it was a linkage problem, but nothing is hung up. I even attempted to turn the throttle knob where the linkage connects with a pair of vice grips and no dice. Bypass valve? Governer? Worn gears somewhere? Just seems odd that it'll start in the wide open position, but when i idle it to warm it up, it won't ever go back to an engine speed that I can work with. Hope that description makes sense! Hope someone has an idea or an opinion! opcorn
Sounds like you have an engine oil pressure problem once warmed up. Get a graduated gauge in the galley and check pressure with warm oil at all speeds. Later Bob
So it runs at high idle but not at a lower idle? Bob, Dashpot in the governor?
Thanks for the replies! The prefix is 85j. If I start it with the throttle wide open, it will run that way until I decelerate it. Once I do that, it won't open up more then a high idle. Does that help? Oil pressure gauge is right on the line between low and normal, so that is looking suspect to me.
There is a piston and pin in the governor, towards the back/block side. That prevents the throttle being opened right up untill you get oil pressure. I think that might be holding throttle. To check, just pull throttle over the detent, start engine let idle then open up. Throttle down then up see if you get restricted as before. Later Bob
You have engine problems,,,, that vintage Cat always pegged the gauge when functioning properly.
3304 or D330? Seen the suction bell fail on a 3304 and pieces lodge in the relief valve causing reduced oil pressure.
I replaced all my gauges and have to agree with grandpa, mine shows 95 psi when in is cold, never gets below 45 psi at idle when hot. Note: Mine is also a prefix 85J but my serial number is 5044 which makes it a L model. Hope you can work out the issue
Yup! It was an oil issue. I cleaned out bypass valve and injectors first. Then I checked engine oil. Was low - surprising since I changed it the week before getting ready to do some clearing. Found the leak - was a loose fitting at the bottom of the oil filter that goes to a pickup tube. Anyway, got things tightened up and running good. What did I learn? Check the fluid levels before you do anything. I feel like a complete moron! Thanks