Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L Crankshaft sleeves or no sleeves

Bryant_955L ยท 2014-11-30 13:41

I was looking at my motor manual, and I noticed that it shows a set of sleeves on the crankshaft. (Under the crank shaft seals and they are called wear sleeves) I am confused because the motor I pulled out did not have any of these sleeves. I am replacing my motor with a different motor (long block). My question is when do you need sleeves and should I install them on this new Long Block motor? I think if I don't install them my new motor will leak. Need help or suggestions on how to install them as well?

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-11-30 13:47

    If you go to cat the rear crank seal should change up to a Hydrodynamic seal with sleeve. DO NOT take the seal and sleeve apart, install as is. You need the proper installation tool to seat it. The front will be a regular lip seal and sleeve.

  2. #2Bryant_955L2014-11-30 22:33

    Where can you get a tool?

  3. #3Nige2014-12-01 06:15

    Your local friendly Cat dealer will probably rent or loan you one if you ask nicely. If you have a good local independent shop who do frequent work on Cat engines they may also have one.

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-12-01 08:08

    If you're putting in a "new" long block it should have the proper seals already. If it's a used long block then yes replace them. If the replacement long block has the sleeves you will need a tool to remove the sleeve before installing the new seal. You might want to take the long block to a local dealer and have them replace the seals for you. It shouldn't take much time.

  5. #5Bryant_955L2014-12-01 23:41

    Thanks for the help