Hey have any of you guys ever dealt with a machine like this for parts? Does this wipe any parts value away from this machine rendering it total scrap? Hoping maybee the steering clutch housing and finals survived. want to unbolt whole unit and swing onto my machine. Plus want arms and bucket to go onto another machine if pins and bushings are all better condition than mine. Any thoughts? He says the cat dealer told him between $5000 to $7000 salvage value. I think that to be kinda high as it looks to be a serious gamble that you would get enough out of it other than a ton of work.
I would be very scared of any thing thats been on fire . when I was a kid dad rebuilt an massey ferguson tractor that had caught fire it was always a head ache . if the paint is burnt off the component I would not try to reuse it the warping of metal and the temper removal is sometimes impossible to see.
Yea the ad says it was in a shed fire. When ya call the guy ya find out it was actually in a hay barn and the hay caught fire. Of course when ya ask does the finals still have oil? "i don't know" does the steer clutch housing still have oil? "I don't know". Why in the heck would you advertise something like this and ask top dollar and do no research or homework as to what you are actually offering for sale. I hate to say the man has only given me enough information to think I only want to give scrap value. and that's not much right now! Probably less for having to load and haul it!
iits only worth its wieght in scrap and thats all its good for
Hey catman what makes you say this? Do you have some experiance with burn outs like this? Just wondering cause its new to me and If you do I am hoping you can share your stories on this. Need to learn all I can to make informed decision.
In my opinion anything on the tractor that still has yellow paint on it could be potentially good for reuse or salvage, or even as a base component for rebuilding. Anything that has the paint burned off has to be considered suspect and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. That would appear to include the lift arms although it's hard to tell. The fact that it was not the machine itself that caught fire but the building in which it was stored may be a positive. The photos are not taken from anywhere close enough to the machine to see exactly where the fire stopped burning.
One very good reason to be leery of a freshly painted machine at an auction! Paint could hide lots of bad things!
That's the bad thing about this mans ad. his pictures suk and when I ask him if he can get me some better pictures he acts like he just not interested in doing such. what can I say he is working real hard to sell this huh? As far as parts being suspect, suspect in which way? Warped? Weakened? tempering gone and now to soft? Unfortunatly information from the seller is lacking? Its a full days drive to where it is to asses the whole thing myself. Don't mind a road trip but really don't want to go unless there is any chance this has usable parts and may get me to where I need to be with my equipment. If there is zero chance of this having anything usable I will just blow it off
Any or all of the above
Sounds like its not worth the gamble unless you have a way to get out of it at no cost ie scrap price.