Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96 L9000 m11

Old Doug ยท 2019-08-01 21:36

A buddys m 11 that he puts less than 100 mlies a year hauling hay died a couple times 3 years ago but restarted he took it to a shop they coudnt find any thing wrong it has been seting but started right up and ran 10 miles then next day it wouldnt start. I looked at it fuses are good but no fire to fuel shut off. Low coolant light is on. I have way to much going on but were to start?

Replies10
  1. #1RZucker2019-08-01 22:28

    Is it full of coolant? If it is the probe needs cleaning or replacement. Usually low coolant is only a derate, but who knows how this one is programmed. Also the M11 normally uses 2 ECM feeds from the batteries, were those the fuses you checked?

  2. #2crane operator2019-08-01 22:53

    I have a 1995 international 8100 with a m11, and its low coolant will shut the truck off. Had it happen right in the yard when I parked it on a slope with low coolant. Of course the first thing when it dies, I'm thinking fuel, not coolant, but it was the coolant.

  3. #3RZucker2019-08-01 23:17

    My F800 will do that too. Even if its full it doesn't take much of a slope to the left to uncover the probe. Jumper wire to the rescue. It has a non electronic 7.8 liter Ford, but does have a decent engine protection system.

  4. #4Old Doug2019-08-02 19:35

    Its full and it has 2 fuses by the ecm and 2 by the bats they were good and had fire to them. He was going to get a new probe if he dosent and i have time i will ohm probe in coolant and out. I could wright a book on coolant sencers and it wouldnt be a love story.

  5. #5RZucker2019-08-02 19:44

    The older Volvos used a two prong sensor with stainless probes. Those would build up a coating from the coolant, a few minutes cleaning them with scotchbrite and they were good to go again. Same thing with a lot of others. Peterbilt and Kenworth used some single wire probes... same thing. Clean them down to shiny metal. Usually jumping the terminals together or to ground on a single wire probe will tell you if the probe is bad. Also if a single wire probe is in the radiator tank, check the ground strap on the radiator.

  6. #6Old Doug2019-08-02 19:46

    This has a white probe with 4 wires.

  7. #7Old Doug2019-08-05 19:26

    It was the ecm.

  8. #8grandpa2019-08-05 19:34

    Of course it would be.... nothing cheap.

  9. #9RZucker2019-08-05 19:40

    Celect I or II? Seen more bad ECM's on those M11's than any other engine. Had a series 1 throwing a code that didn't exist according to the Cummins tech line.

  10. #10crane operator2019-08-05 19:48

    I was getting a bad injector code the only time I had problems with my m11. Swapped injectors hole to hole and the problem stayed at #5. So I knew it wasn't injector itself. I sent my ecm off to a guy who checked it all out (found him on the internet), and he repotted any bad connections. It was around 600-800 if I remember right. Cummins wanted over $3000 for a new ecm, plus another $350 or so to "flash" it to my truck. After looking at my ecm, he repotted it, and told me that while I had a couple connections that were getting bad, he didn't think any were my real issue. My issue ended up being a bad connection in the wiring harness between the inside the valve cover harness, and the harness from there to the ecm. I didn't try to fix the connection, I just replaced both harnesses. Cummins wanted me to replace ECM, flash it, replace both wiring harnesses, and "while you are there", just do all the injectors too. It was over $6,000 worth of parts if I did all of that, which is approaching truck value. I ended up with paying the guy to "fix" my ecm, and the two harnesses.