Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

963a pedal sticking

gwhammy ยท 2016-12-04 11:08

One of my steer pedals just started hanging and pushing hard sometimes. I haven't looked at it yet, just hoping someone might be able to narrow my search.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2016-12-04 11:44

    You don't say exactly which S/N machine it is but unless the return spring on the pedal is tired or broken, which should be easy enough to spot, you're probably going to have to do a bit of disassembly and lubrication of the various moving parts of the linkage. There are no grease points in it and loads of pins, bell cranks, & levers. Check for worn bushes on shafts, etc, while you're at it.

  2. #2sealark372016-12-04 14:00

    I had the same problem with my 943. I found the two needle bearings in the pedal mount to be rusted solid. You have to disconnect the return spring under the cab floor and remove the mount. I jacked the cab, but a more limber mechanic may not have to do the tilt. It took considerable heat, hammer, and hydraulics to remove the pedal and shaft from the mount. I found the replacement bearings on fleabay for less than $20 shipped. The bearings in the other pedal were perfect. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

  3. #3gwhammy2016-12-04 14:51

    21z late 80's I'm thinking. Are these bearings in the pedal assembly in the cab or under the floor? The 973 I just acquired has sticky pedals on it also but the 63 seems to have more movement on the left pedal thats sticking than the right. May not seem like much but pushing that pedal how many countless times a day really makes a difference at the end.

  4. #4sealark372016-12-04 16:58

    If the 963 is similar to the 943, the bearings are in the assembly next to the foot pedals. The bearings carry the shaft that the pedal pivots on.