Hi all, like others on here I have experienced some transmission slip when it reaches operating temp. It has hydro 10w oil in the trans and I run at full throttle. I have been going through a process of elimination to resolve the issue. I started by adjusting the linkages which made a big difference to the overall performance of the machine, then adjusted the sync valve plunger out 3 turns as specified. I had the transmission oil and filter replaced about 18 months ago and someone on here advised that they solved a similar issue of transmission surge by replacing a high efficiency filter with one that has a higher flow rate. I spoke to Westrac spares that advised that they had installed an ultra high performance filter and gave me a 1R-0778 to replace it. I have run the machine with the new filter and fingers crossed no surges so far and pushes like a demon. I cut open the old ultra high performance filter to inspect it. It seems relatively clean but there were a few tiny specs of brass in it, almost like gold dust and just a couple of metallic specs. Is this normal wear that the filter captures or could there be a looming problem? Rick
The High-Efficiency filter is called out as standard. I know that 1R-0778 will physically fit but it's going to allow fine particles to be circulating in your system that the specified filter would be catching. Like oil analysis, filter cuts are worthless unless you have a few of them to establish a trend. If you haven't actually done any repair work in there recently I would opine that the "gold dust" is probably the first indication that you are going to have to go into the drive system probably sooner rather than later, an preferably before it all goes pear-shaped.
Thanks Nige, I did have a travel motor fail about 18 months ago and replaced it with a second hand one. I haven’t changed the filter since then so I’m guessing this may be a factor. I’ll run it for a while and replace the filter with the recommended one and see if the current filter contains any more gold dust. Rick
I'd get back to the high-efficiency element sooner rather than later if it was mine. The difference between a 35-micron 1W-0778 element and the 10 microns of the 132-xxxx element means that the small particles in the system from your previous failure get trapped faster in a place where they can't do any harm.