Does anyone know what the flow rate at the valve were a ripper attachment would be plumbed to?
On a 963b
On a 9BL-prefix machine I assume.? If you are not using any other circuits at the time then anything up to the setting of the attachment relief valve (4200psi) and up to 100% of implement pump flow (around 50 GPM). What exactly are you planning on plumbing in to the attachment circuit instead of a ripper.?
I changed the engine out to a cummins.I didnt have much luck with the 3116 long story but the machine runs great and very easy on fuel.Im very happy the way it turned out.Anyways I want to run a hydraulic cooling fan and was thinking about running it off the valve which is used to operate a ripper.And using a electric solenoid instead of a pilot control to open the valve.Thats what im thinking I might be wrong.
I would have thought the first thing would be to identify the hydraulic drive unit you want to install and find out from the manufacturer what are its pressure/flow requirements for optimal operation. Most hydraulic fan drives I've come across run on much less than implement pump pressure and don't require anywhere near the same flow.
Ok i appreciate the information. That was the only place that i could think of to get my hydraulic oil to run that fan without adding a pump drive off the engine.
You may be able to take a hydraulic fan supply from the implement circuit somewhere, but IMHO you would need some sort of independent flow control and pressure relief in the plumbing that were both lower than main implement pump pressure/flow
I understand, once i figure out a fan pump with specs i can work from there.Ill have to find someone with a set of gauges that has worked on these loaders and figure out the best place to run this application. Ill keep you updated thanks again.
Wouldn't you have to use a priority flow divider and seperate relieve valve so the fan had priority? I think you might lose too much speed with the implement hyd's. I'm not sure how big the largest electric fans are but is that an option?
I tried duel electric fans didnt have much luck.What i have is working. Im running a 5.9 cummins in it and the fan has a 6in spacer i machined out of aluminum and its running on stock fan hub bearings.No problems but im looking for longevity thats why im trying to go this route.So your thinking if i use the valve used for a ripper it wont work? Just asking
Flow from the ripper valve could probably work but it would take some of the flow away from the boom and bucket hydraulics making them slower. I'm not sure that if you were digging in harder ground the bucket hydraulics would have priority and the flow to the fan motor would be reduced or stopped all together. It would be counter productive if the fan couldn't turn fast enough to properly cool the engine because everytime you used the bucket the fan would slow down. You want the fan to stay at the fastest speed when working hard not slowing down everytime you lift a full bucket. That's why I thought you might need a priority valve/flow divider for the hyd. motor powering the fan. You might have to consider additional cooling for the hyd. fluid too. I don't know how many GPM the motor for a fan would require? If it's less than 10 cooling may not be much of a problem.
Id say your right that valve used for a ripper wouldnt be using that much oil it would be off and on vs all the time.The way im thinking is Thats the only place to get hydraulics from is off that valve.Other than plumbing it off the main pump.On this 963 it uses a main pump with a piggy back pump behind it.But if i do that it could rob power there also.Im stumped.Or run a pump by belt off the engine to drive pump for the fan.I know its alot of work to do this other than find a bigger fan mount with a bigger bearing to carry the load of the fan.I appreciate your input.
Do you know the flow and pressure you need to run the fan motor? Not sure if a belt would slip or not driving the pump. What are your concerns with the current fan on the engine, too far out? Maybe you could have a fan shroud made so you could use a shorter spacer for the fan?
Well i havent looked for a fan pump yet.I was going to find the flow rate of the valve first. That way id know what i got then look for a pump. I cant run a shroud because the transmission cooler sits in front of the radiator.
I was thinking a shroud behind the rad. and it's a pusher fan. The shroud would direct more air through the rad.