Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

966b water pump

John Sarappa · 2022-03-05 07:05

Hi guys, I have a 966b loader that needs a water pump.Cat dealer can’t get it. I can’t find anything aftermarket. Any suggestions. By the way way it runs like a bear!

Replies14
  1. #1Jonas3022022-03-05 08:43

    Do you have a parts book by chance or have the cat dealer give you the part # then google that there are aftermarket ones out there 3306 engine probably? Shes to old to pull up in SIS to find your part #

  2. #2Nige2022-03-05 08:50

    If we can’t find it on SIS the dealer parts dept won’t be able to find it either. It will need someone with a paper parts manual. Have you tried the ACMOC web site.?

  3. #3kshansen2022-03-05 11:24

    If no one local can help you could try these people: S & S Tractor Parts Inc 2500 Station Lane Marcellus, NY 13108 [URL='https://www.yellowpages.com/listings/469682190/directions']Monday- Fri: 7:00 am - 4:30 pm (315) 673-1075 Last I knew they were still in business, they were started by former Cat dealer people. They are just a few miles over the hill from my house, Ask for Mark in parts.[/URL]

  4. #4John Sarappa2022-03-05 14:14

    Thanks guys the part number cat gave me is 2s-4203 hopefully that means something to someone.

  5. #5Nige2022-03-05 14:38

    It appears as though the number is correct. Listed for machines with S/N 75A1126-Up. But right there is the kicker. It is listed as "Separate Parts" in other words it is not sold as a complete assembled pump. That could explain why you are drawing a blank with prospective suppliers. Below is the parts breakdown. No illustration unfortunately.

  6. #6Bluox2022-03-05 17:43

    Thats a D333 motor has a belt drive water pump. Bob

  7. #7ahart2022-03-05 19:00

    I think this is one of those water pumps that isn’t intended to be replaced but rebuilt. Briefly skimming through niges supplied parts list, seems like most pieces are available as far as a shaft and seals. I think this may be a diagram of the pump, could also be completely useless. It’s old so it’s a crapshoot.

  8. #8John Sarappa2022-03-05 19:49

    I guess this machine is going to the exporter, I can change most parts but don’t know how to rebuild a water pump. I know it is just some seals and bearing/ bushing

  9. #9Dave Neubert2022-03-05 20:22

    Not hard to do you should be able to get a step by step on rebuilding it

  10. #10kshansen2022-03-07 15:27

    Dang that would be an easy one if it's like the picture ahart posted! Taking it off and putting it back on might be the most time of the job.

  11. #11Nige2022-03-07 16:04

    Over 90% of the parts in the illustration are the same as what is in the OP’s pump. Basically it’s the housing, pulley, and a couple of minor parts that are different.

  12. #12John Sarappa2022-06-17 07:45

    This machine got put on the back burner for a few months. I decided to take the pump off and take it apart. The seals and bearings were trashed. I know in the 30 years we owned it the water pump was never greased. Going to Cat this morning to see if they can get the parts. Looks like they are available online and relatively inexpensive. Thanks for the pics and parts list!

  13. #13John Sarappa2022-06-17 12:11

    Well,all the parts are available! They will be here Monday morning.

  14. #14John Sarappa2022-06-23 21:07

    Pump is rebuilt and running like a bear again! Waiting on the parts book that Nige recommended to buy for a few other items! Thanks again!