Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

966G trans to torque housing leak

naharra ยท 2014-03-05 11:54

On this 966G 11 (ANT prefix) there is oil leaking near the top of the transmission between the trans and torque housing while it is running. It is near the oil line 157-1338 coming from the filter and feeds the control valve. I suspect it may be a small o ring 4F-7389 between the torque housing and trans that may be the culprit....is it possible to just remove the bolts that hold the trans and torque housing together and trans mount bolts and slide them apart just enough to replace the O ring without removing the whole trans and torque? The cab is removed already.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2014-03-05 12:20

    You're outside the box on this one. The accepted procedure is to remove the converter/trans/transfer gears as an assembly, stand the whole lot on its head and then split them by pulling the converter off the top of the transmission planetary assembly. However having said that I think that if you removed some of the M10 bolts that secure the trans to the converter and replaced them with lengths of M10 threaded rod (or had some guide bolts made) it ought to be possible to slide the transmission slightly away from the converter in order give you the space needed to replace something like an O-Ring. I guess it all depends exactly how far the 2 pieces can be separated without something falling apart internally, and I have no idea on that one. You'll also need to seriously think about how the weight of the transmission planetary and output gears will be supported once they are no longer fixed to the converter though. In total they weigh around 2200 pounds and you don't want that sort of weight hanging on a few pieces of M10 all-thread IMO.

  2. #2naharra2014-03-05 12:31

    Thanks Nige, all I have is a parts book and it shows gears that drive the input shaft on the trans and splines on the pumps that look like it should allow some movement apart, just not sure how much it can go safely. I would pull the trans torque assembly out but am pressed for time. As far as weight I was thinking of using a small crane to support the trans and just sliding it back on the mounts.

  3. #3Mobiltech2014-03-05 14:55

    4F7389 is an external oring on the line. Why would you need to split it for that? Wouldn't it be a 5P9806 in between the torque and trans

  4. #4Bob/Ont2014-03-05 15:18

    I think I have been there, not sure, but the real problem was hardned orings between the sections and suspect you have this problem too. Another bit of trouble was the clutch pistons all wanted to fall out due to worn seals. Had to reseal everything to get friction to hold the pistons in while assembling. Might want to replace the long bolts holding it together aswell, they some times break. Later Bob

  5. #5naharra2014-03-05 21:32

    Mobiltech - thanks for pointing that out, had another look at the parts book and it looks like 5P9806 is the large O ring and 4F7389 seals an oil passage between the trans and torque housings as well. Bob/Ont - thanks for the input, I will have a closer look as soon as its split and see how hard the O rings are.

  6. #6overworked2014-03-06 10:57

    Its the same old can of worms, they are all getting hard, good luck.

  7. #7kshansen2015-05-26 07:22

    Any chance of a picture or two of this? Like Nige says you are out of the box on this but may be possible. Might have to make a seal pick out of something like the wire out of a choke cable to get the old seal out then use a putty knife with a little grease on it to stick the new oring in. Did something similar but a bit less involved to replace an oring on a Komatsu the last day I worked. It was in a hydraulic steel line connected to a manifold block would have needed to remove a few hold downs in a tight area to reach. Luckily the manifold was mounted with rubber mounts so I was able to wedge it open about 1/4 inch to get to the oring. Good luck!