Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96J850 d5 steering clutches

Dave Neubert ยท 2020-02-28 15:45

the steering clutch stack height 3.480 max mine measures 3.510 no extra plates or discs and this is my problem the booster arm hits the case before disengaging you can visibly see the difference from the left side to the right side. it has everything shifted toward the center. pinion bearing and bevel gear bearing are good. I have not pulled the discs apart yet but they show no signs of coming apart and stacking 12 plates and 12 discs in it

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2020-02-28 22:03

    I have been thinking about this and my clearance problem has to be from the bevel gear to the clutch if the clutch was thicker it would just slide into the drum more, I wonder if the yoke could be backwards if that is passable the man bought it at a auction and inherited the problem

  2. #2tctractors2020-02-29 15:38

    Thrust bearing is possibly fitted the wrong way. tctractors

  3. #3Nige2020-02-29 17:14

    You got any photos Dave.?

  4. #4Dave Neubert2020-02-29 18:34

    well it is apart now i'm replacing the thrust bearing. I'm leaning toward the yoke was in backwards.I will update when it goes back together

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-03-25 18:32

    Update on steering clutch it turns out the stack height being to much threw everything off pulled clutch apart and found plates very rusty. put new discs and plates in and brought stack height with in specs everything fine now. I never thought that the extra .030 would of caused so much problems

  6. #6Nige2020-03-25 19:05

    They have specs for a reason or so it seems.