Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

97 International 4900 pinion seal

sbell4 ยท 2017-01-22 17:47

I have a 97 international 4900 and the pinion seal is leaking. I just wanted to know if I could remove the yoke and replace the seal and re-install the yoke or will I have to check bearing preload and all that? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1Junkyard2017-01-22 18:25

    Just like you said, pull yoke and replace seal. Take a good look at the pinion seal area, if it's worn bad you may have to get a seal with a wear sleeve. Nothing to it other than getting the nut busted loose but if you have a 1" inch gun and the correct socket it's a breeze. Junkyard

  2. #2sbell42017-01-22 18:35

    Sweet, I just wanted to make sure before I tore it out. Never been into one on a truck but just wanted to confirm, thank you!