Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

973 loader acts like it is slipping

brandonblanchard · 2020-01-02 21:54

hello to all I am a new member my question is I have a 1973 loader that like it is slipping on an incline but does fine on level ground digging and pushing. customer had a mechanic change a couple hoses that blew before I got to the machine. I have changed the oil and pulled the transmission pan due to rubber hose lining that was in the pan. installed new filter and new 10w oil I am wondering if this machine has a external trans cooler any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1JD955SC2020-01-02 22:14

    You put 10w hydraulic oil into the transmission box? You need to get ahold of a manual for your serial number and doublecheck what you fill the different systems with. Some of these machines require different stuff than others

  2. #2brandonblanchard2020-01-02 22:27

    I have checked with cat from the serial number and it calls for 10w hyd oil. machine serial number is 86g00365 trans #8ca01317

  3. #3brandonblanchard2020-01-02 22:47

    the machine is operating better after the fluid and filter change.

  4. #4JD955SC2020-01-03 04:09

    Excellent, good for ensuring that. These machines are a little weird and have had a good variety of changes over the various models. I trust nothing without looking it up and verifying when I work on one. I HIGHLY recommend buying the service manuals before getting too deep, also, you can get them from Cat and while the cost is a little seemingly steep it’s more than worth it. Yes there is an external trans cooler it’s right beside the radiator. Might be hard to tell from the outside where the “split” is. Glad to hear that it is acting better. Keep a close eye on it and be careful those transmissions are expensive little buggers. you might want to change the oil and filter again and cut open the filter to see if you get anything in it also just to see if you can gain any insight as to what is happening. If you have the old filter still go ahead and do it to it too.

  5. #5Nige2020-01-03 13:17

    It might pay you to get hold of a manual for it. A basic one covering operation & Maintenance (inc. oil specs & capacities) will be less than $50 to download in pdf from Cat. Guidance on “how to” is available if you need it.