Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

973 two speed not working

gwhammy · 2021-08-10 19:55

I'm looking at a 95 973 cat loader. Run it today and the two speed isn't kicking into high. Everything else seems to work great. It had both track motors rebuilt in around 2007 by the current owner. He said one motor was lazy so they had the cat dealer rebuild both of them. It's a little lazy taking off also but I think it needs the hydrostat filter changed I don't know the hours on it but it's on it's second set of rails and they are at around 60 to 70 percent. I was told there is a pressure sensor that makes them shift it the high side that can go bad.

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2021-08-11 01:30

    A Serial Number gets you the electrical schematic.

  2. #2Nige2021-08-11 13:04

    My apologies, I thought the 2-speed was electrically-controlled - it's not. See attached SysOp document from Page 35 onwards. I took a punt on S/N prefix of 32Z. If it's not that then let me know and I can confirm if the document attached applies.

  3. #3gwhammy2021-08-11 15:56

    86G and in the high 12 hundred serial number. Thanks

  4. #4Nige2021-08-11 18:00

    Slightly different document but the principle remains the same.

  5. #5gwhammy2021-08-12 06:52

    Thanks Nige, that's a whole lot of info to digest. Finding someone who knows these machines is probably far and few between. I'm guessing it taking off slow and the two speed are all in the adjustments. Looks real easy to screw up if you get more than one in the wrong setting.

  6. #6Nige2021-08-12 09:24

    If he doesn't appear with any comments/suggestions, send a PM to Cmark. He's the specialist in Cat hydrostatic track loader drive systems. It may not be adjustment-related at all.

  7. #7gwhammy2021-08-12 17:42

    I talked in depth to my mechanic today. He said it's up to a days work with the proper set of pressure gauges to set it up. It's really hard to get lost if you don't have them. He's done lots of 53 and 63's and a few 973's. After talking with him for a half hour and explaining how it run and acted he didn't think it would have any mechanical problems. I've been on skid steer and loaders all my career and have run machines with hydrostats weak or going out and this machine doesn't act that way.

  8. #8gwhammy2021-08-12 19:11

    Just talked to the guy that has run it and he said he did some adjusting on linkages when they got it. We will see when I get it to the shop.

  9. #9Nige2021-08-13 09:38

    That could be a major “oh ****” right there.