Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

973C oil pump.

pasinead1991 · 2017-02-23 15:19

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with oil pump on a 973C with a 3306 cat engine oil pump seems to have two pumps assemble together on my I'll pump back section of that I'll pump has a suction pipe that sucks oil when the engine is going down a steep grade forward but the exhaust side of the oil pump is dumping right into the oil pan.

Replies14
  1. #1pasinead19912017-02-23 15:29

    Was wondering if anybody had lubrication schematic for this engine

  2. #2pasinead19912017-02-23 15:45

    Suction on top and pressure on bottom going back to pan.

  3. #3kshansen2017-02-23 19:10

    I havbe not looked on SIS yet but right off the top of my head it sounds like you are referring to "scavenger pump" that is piggybacked on to the lube oil pump. This is a very common design in equipment that can see operation at less than ideal conditions.

  4. #4kshansen2017-02-23 19:16

    Well as you did not give a serial number or even a prefix to work from it took a bit of digging to find the info, better input equals a better and faster return. Any how here is the information I found on at least one of the 3306 engined machines: I do notice they do not mention a scavenging pump in the diagram, may take more digging to see if one shows some place else.

  5. #5kshansen2017-02-23 19:37

    A little more digging and I can supply this from mparts book on SIS: Red line is the pickup pipe for the scavenging section of the pump, appears return to deep part of pan is just out of the pump with no separate tubing Green line is the suction line from sump to the lube pump Blue line is the line from the output of the lube pump to the full flow filter Pink line is the line from outlet of full flow filter to the engine main galley. Not shown in this picture is the oil line to the turbo that I believe comes straight from the filter head to the turbo and turbo drain connect to the side of engine block. Those little things in the upper left corner of the picture marked #15 are the nozzles for the piston cooler that are pressed into the block near the main bearings where they get their oil.

  6. #6pasinead19912017-02-23 20:32

    Thanh you very much

  7. #7pasinead19912017-03-03 14:05

    Cat 3306 serial 13Z53273 I'm putting this engine back together that some one took apart I have new liner kits I know the position of the old pistons from a pic I got from the guy that took it out but not sure on the connecting rods bearing tab away or towards the cam shaft. The kits come presssembled. If anyone could help me with this.

  8. #8pasinead19912017-03-03 14:08
  9. #9pasinead19912017-03-03 14:09

    The top of photo is cam side

  10. #10kshansen2017-03-03 14:48

    I'll see if this explains it: Install connecting rod into the piston. Ensure that bearing tab slot and the identification marks are on the same side as the "V" mark on the top of the piston. Put the piston in the cylinder liner with the "V" mark on the piston in alignment with the "V" mark on the cylinder block. Put tool (A) in position on the cylinder block and compress the piston rings. NOTICE The "V" mark must be visible on the piston and the cylinder block. If the "V" mark is not visible, the piston must be installed with the relief for the valve positioned toward the pushrod opening in the cylinder block. Damage may result if the pistons are not installed properly. Put clean engine oil (SAE 30) on the lower half of the connecting rod bearing and on the connecting rod bolts. NOTICE When the connecting rod caps are installed, ensure that the identification marks are aligned. Install connecting rod cap and the nuts that secure the connecting rod cap. Torque both of the nuts to 40 ± 4 N·m (30 ± 3 lb ft). Mark the position of the nuts. Tighten each nut for an additional 90 degrees (1/4 turn).

  11. #11pasinead19912017-03-04 01:23

    Thank you

  12. #12kshansen2017-03-04 08:23

    So now that I've been so much help can a borrow the 973 some day?

  13. #13DMiller2017-03-04 08:29

    I didn't help much but would also care to borrow !!

  14. #14kshansen2017-03-04 08:35

    We just need to set up a schedule for who gets it first! There would be no problem running a 973C over the road right?