Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

977k Track Loader

nemeth ยท 2013-10-10 09:55

I desperately need an answer to my problem. Our farm 977K Track Loader uses a great deal of oil. Last year it used approx. 2 gallons per 8 hr. use now after sitting for a year it uses 5 gallons per 8 hr. period. It also needs transmission oil couple of gallons every other day. I know it is old, but this is obsessive. I am guessing seals are shot. Smokes quite a bit. Also overfills the final drives. Someone told me to add a half gallon of mineral spirits to the transmission oil. Does this sound right? It is used on the farm and very much needed now. Can someone suggest an easy fix for this. Thank- you in advance for your replies. Deanna

Replies11
  1. #1Old Magnet2013-10-10 14:08

    There is no quick fix for the lack of maintenance and repair.

  2. #2nemeth2013-10-10 14:17

    Guilty as charged. Would you happen to have any suggestions for me though? I would appreciate any little tidbits! Thank you! Deanna

  3. #3Nige2013-10-10 16:02

    To fix the oil consumption issue the engine's going to have to come apart. To fix the issue of transferring oil from the back end into the final drives is also going to need major disassembly. Both the above require someone who is well-experienced with this type of machine. a lot of mechanics these days have never worked on one. Sorry there is no quick fix.

  4. #4Bob/Ont2013-10-10 16:37

    You could do an "in frame" of the engine. Liners, rings, bearings and a valve job. That would take care of the engine but since you had high consumption that got worse over night I would check out the turbo first. To do that make sure the the oil drain pipe into the block is clear, then take off the air pipe from the turbo into the intake and look for oil blowing into the engine. The "oil transfer"from the trans into the final drives requires removing the steering clutches and resealing the final drive pinions. Later Bob

  5. #5Heavey Metal2013-10-10 20:22

    If the finals aint leaking out on the ground quit worrying about them. Could well be the turbo likely stuck and needs a spin to start turning or replacement. If the motor is too full it will smoke also (trany pump likes to leak into the motor)

  6. #6Bluox2013-10-11 09:36

    You might try changing your motor oil suggest a 30 wt.,change air filters and clean out crankcase breather. bob

  7. #7nemeth2013-10-11 10:39

    Thanks guys for the info. Unfortunately I need to use the equipment now and I don't have time to do any time consuming repairs. I will address the repair at a later date, but for now is there any kind of additive I can use to slow down this large quantity of oil I am having to install?

  8. #8Bluox2013-10-11 11:22

    See post 7 takes about an hour, bob

  9. #9Nige2013-10-11 11:41

    I agree with you regarding air filters and crankcase breather but I'm interested in your thinking about changing the oil from whatever's in there now (OP didn't specify) to a 30-wt. Why would you do this and how do you think it would help..?

  10. #10hillbillywrench2014-04-14 22:39

    New to forum. Lurked for a few weeks, just registered. Off topic, but i need to post a few times to start a thread. Ecessive oil use- We had a irrigation motor (3406 Cat) that was using 12 Gallons a day! (six gallons in the morning, six in the evening). It was a junkyard engine and we were told to run it till it quit. It quit. Threw a rod through the side of the block. I may post the whole story later. (we had it replaced in 4 days).

  11. #11rmllarue912014-04-16 22:08

    Make sure it is using and not losing if it's using that much smoke should be seen very easily remove intake pipe check turbo if not sure what your looking at take a pic of turbo shaft Fins they are probably smashed and missing if you continue to run with bad turbo you'll be looking for a whole engine take some time and figure it out before you wish you Did Good luck rml