Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

977L question

precision dirt ยท 2014-05-09 22:27

Hey guys new to the forum and love all the good information and opinions here. I have a 977L that I use in my construction business mainly for large scale brush work because in my opinion it will out work a dozer 3 to 1 in the brush especially really big trees. But I do use it for bulking clay for ponds when needed with occasional longer pushes...300+ ft but try not to push further than that. If I gotta go further I just use a 615c scraper if I can... My question is can the longer pushes hurt the torque converter because I believe is just a soft converter, no lock up..... Someone feel free to correct me... Trans temp stays well into normal operating range but have always wondered...

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-05-10 08:51

    It can handle the long push if system is good. Later Bob

  2. #2Nige2014-05-10 09:48

    No CAT tractor of any type has a lockup converter (from memory some of the larger Komatsus do). They don't have problems with long pushes and neither should your 977L, provided as Bob says that the power train system is in good condition. I would suggest that your cooling system needs to be in top notch order also.

  3. #3precision dirt2014-05-12 23:28

    Thanks guys. That was kinda my thoughts. Trans temps stay well within range but it could use a radiator core because engine temps will rise a lil higher than I like on hot summer days when worked hard with no breaks.

  4. #4fixou8122014-05-12 23:42

    Someone on here mentioned they had luck which hi volume fiberglass fans

  5. #5Nige2014-05-13 10:23

    Just my 2c but I don't care how good any fan might be, it's not going to push air efficiently through a radiator that is not clean.