Need some help here. I have a 590 Super L that just started last week to give me problems starting. Lets see, Ill try to give the symptoms. Seems to start fine cold. Then after running it after a couple of hours or so. Ill turn it off to talk to customer or whatever and when i go to start it all it will do is crank. At times it will fire after a couple trys but lately when it stops it stops. If I leave it sit then try later it fires up. Just started about a week ago so I dont have the details to refined, but was hoping that this might be enough for someone to give me an idea before I haul it to the shop. When it runs it runs great. No problems at all. Thanks for your inputs.
Kinda sounds like a fuel problem in a way , filter maybe water. It sits and starts fine after it's been doing it but the movement moves some kinds of dirt and it clogs it . filters are the cheapest way to start but it might be something else but those engines are pretty simple not alot of electronics.
I agree, it does seem like a fuel issue. However if it were filter or clog related I think it would affect the power and performance of the machine. This is not the case.. lol ( it is a case). What about fuel pump, is there a soleniod that may be getting hot and not working. It seems that it may be heat related in some way. It has never not started when cool. Not until its been run for a while. Maybe a fuel pump soleniod is weak and when it gets warm it breaks down?? dunno, i am looking at the shop manuel now.
Here are a couple of pics of the fuel shutoff solenoid on a 580K.If yours has the 4BT Cummins it might be something like this.Since it is electric it could fail with heat.I think this particular one died completely.Another instance of changing hats and parking one machine to go fix another )Ron G
I think that RonG is on the right track it does sound like a heat related problem. Maybe the soleniod or a relay that operates it and the switch may be over heating on restarts. I would start by checking to be sure there is power getting to the sloenoid (test light)when restarting and work backwards from there. Chances are if there is power getting to the solenoid you have a bad solenoid..... no power= switch or relay.
ron g is on target not a costly fix easy to find. locate the wire on the fuel ing pump disconect unscrew the selonoid.
RonG having that pic of a 1st gen Dodge I know you know some things about a Cummins fuel shutoff valve solenoid don't you!!!
LOL.I wouldn't own a diesel pickup.I used to get enough clatter and knocking and whistling during the day,I don't need to hear at after work.I want peace and quiet,no shifting and A/C on the ride home.I don't have to shut down at the drivethrough windows and noone complains about the smoke or stink. That Ford diesel will make your eyes water just standing near it except the new ones I hear won't run long enough to be troublesome. Years ago there was an advantage to driving a diesel,you could fill it up on the jobsite with cheap fuel.If I had a company truck I would have to take what they gave me but my own vehicles will always be petrol (gasoline) for the international readers out there.Ron G